BBQ Cook Off in Sacramento

18 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Mar

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Volleyball, Golf, Cooking and Catering

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

Here's a bbq event that was e-mailed to me today. Don't know much about the group but at least its in Northern CA. Cost for the event is $300 (meat for judging is provided) trophies only, no cash prizes. Most teams are from Sacramento area. No restrictions on type of bbq equipment. E-mail Tracy for more information.

Western States Barbecue Association
5009 Olive Oak Way
Carmichael, California 95608
(916) 768-6750
wsbabbq@yahoo.com

Benefiting Children’s Miracle Network
UC Davis Children’s Hospital

Dear Fellow BBQ’r:

The Western States Barbecue Association is pleased to announce it’s 5th Annual Barbecue Championship to be held at the Dante Club on Saturday June 7, 2008.

This year’s categories will include dry ribs (rubs only), wet ribs (sauced), Chicken thighs, and Pork Butt (pulled). Don’t forget about the trophy for “Best Team Site!”

Remember all contest meats are supplied as part of your entry fee. Again, this year, for those of you who wish to purchase additional meats, an order form will be provided as part of your team entry packet.

Team entry packets will be emailed to Team Captains beginning March 1, 2008. Contact Andy Henderson at wsbabbq@yahoo.com or myself if you don’t receive your team entry packet or have any questions.

Do you know of any other potential barbecue aficionados who might be interested in competing this year? Please forward me their contact information as soon as possible. The more the merrier!

Happy BBQ’n!

Sincerely,

Tracy Allen

Tracy Allen
WSBA Board Member
ladyskir@aol.com
(916) 712-9570
or
Andy Henderson
WSBA Founder and President
wsbabbq@yahoo.com
Cell (916) 768-6750

#2 Fred Stanek

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Boating, Travel

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

I sent for info.

#3 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

Assume it's the same Andy Henderson who competed at Fairfield last year?

#4 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

Interesting name for that group

#5 Michael Reimann

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:BBQing, Football, Camping, NASCAR

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Yea, I wonder where they came up with that... :o

#6 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

It is the same Andy that was at Fairfield. His BBQ competition started out as a team building event for a number of law firms in Sacramento and has grown from there. I judged two years ago and they did a good job with the event and the BBQ was very good. The judges attended an evening at Andy's house for instruction on judging that was pretty much KCBS judging rules. All proceeds go to charity.

#7 David Hill

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

I have a complete package with application, rules, etc. and can forward to whomever would like to come to this event. It is a one day event with ribs, chicken and most likely tri-tip. It says pulled pork on the posting but they realize you can't cook pulled pork in a one day event. It costs $300 but it includes all meats but no prize money. It is the same Andy that competes with us at Fairfield, Clovis and just this passed weekend in Modesto. All prodeeds go to Childrens Miracle Network. He is still looking for teams. Let me know if you need a package.
David

#8 Tim Mar

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

View PostDavid Hill, on May 13 2008, 12:36 PM, said:

I have a complete package with application, rules, etc. and can forward to whomever would like to come to this event. It is a one day event with ribs, chicken and most likely tri-tip. It says pulled pork on the posting but they realize you can't cook pulled pork in a one day event. It costs $300 but it includes all meats but no prize money. It is the same Andy that competes with us at Fairfield, Clovis and just this passed weekend in Modesto. All prodeeds go to Childrens Miracle Network. He is still looking for teams. Let me know if you need a package.
David

What's Andy's bbq team name???

#9 David Hill

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Sons of Alice. He was in a side parking lot with Rock and Que, Que ca Choo. Que, Que cca Choo, by the way, is a customer of mine on a EGG in his first competition and he did a very respectable finish for his first time out. He was hoping to not come in last and he beat that by a good margin. He also was next to you, Tim, at Wesley. David Schmidt aka Dave the Eggman is his name. But I digress, Sons of Alice is Andy's team.
David

#10 Tim Mar

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:29 AM

I'm wondering if this contest is considered a sanctioned event? Hmmm....

#11 Leonard Sanders

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:dutch ovens-chuck wagons

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

David-could you send me info. I am not catering that weekend.

#12 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

View PostTim Mar, on May 14 2008, 03:29 AM, said:

I'm wondering if this contest is considered a sanctioned event? Hmmm....

They aren't cooking the 4 meats so does not meet ToY/RoY requirements.

#13 Ralph Delgado

• 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

View PostTim Mar, on Apr 17 2008, 05:35 PM, said:

Here's a bbq event that was e-mailed to me today. Don't know much about the group but at least its in Northern CA. Cost for the event is $300 (meat for judging is provided) trophies only, no cash prizes. Most teams are from Sacramento area. No restrictions on type of bbq equipment. E-mail Tracy for more information.

Western States Barbecue Association
5009 Olive Oak Way
Carmichael, California 95608
(916) 768-6750
wsbabbq@yahoo.com

Benefiting Children’s Miracle Network
UC Davis Children’s Hospital

Dear Fellow BBQ’r:

The Western States Barbecue Association is pleased to announce it’s 5th Annual Barbecue Championship to be held at the Dante Club on Saturday June 7, 2008.

This year’s categories will include dry ribs (rubs only), wet ribs (sauced), Chicken thighs, and Pork Butt (pulled). Don’t forget about the trophy for “Best Team Site!”

Remember all contest meats are supplied as part of your entry fee. Again, this year, for those of you who wish to purchase additional meats, an order form will be provided as part of your team entry packet.

Team entry packets will be emailed to Team Captains beginning March 1, 2008. Contact Andy Henderson at wsbabbq@yahoo.com or myself if you don’t receive your team entry packet or have any questions.

Do you know of any other potential barbecue aficionados who might be interested in competing this year? Please forward me their contact information as soon as possible. The more the merrier!

Happy BBQ’n!

Sincerely,

Tracy Allen

Tracy Allen
WSBA Board Member
ladyskir@aol.com
(916) 712-9570
or
Andy Henderson
WSBA Founder and President
wsbabbq@yahoo.com
Cell (916) 768-6750

Hello,

I am under the impression that we are bbqing a whole chicken, not just thighs; can someone let me know if I am correct or not.

thanks,

Ralph Deglado

#14 Fred Stanek

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Boating, Travel

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

How many racks of ribs, (Baby Backs or Spares) pork butts and chicken thigs will be given out???

#15 Tim Mar

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

I think you're going to have to contact Tracy or Andy directly to find out about your questions. I've never seen either one on this forum.

#16 David Hill

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

Last I heard it was going to be a small pork butt (4ish pounds), ribs wet and dry and the chicken will be wings. No idea how many will be given out. Gates open at 6 am and there is a meeting at 8 so I have no idea how to cook a pork butt in less than four hours. My ribs take five hours.
David

#17 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:13 AM

I was hoping to make it out to this thing, but I'm in SoCal this weekend. So if anyone goes please report back!

#18 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

My judging information says that they will have wet and dry ribs, (throughly cooked) chicken and a brisket. All meat is supplied and this is a benefit for the UC Davis Miracle Network.

#19 Tim Mar

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

Just got back from visiting the Sacramento competition and they seem to have a good turnout. Maybe 20-25 teams. A lot of company sponsored teams. Mostly backyard equipment. Didn't stay for judging or results.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users