#1 Dan Cannon

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2007

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:BBQ

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

Folks,

It is that time of the year to again announce the Q-Fest for 2008. It will be held February 8th, 9th, and 10th (Friday afternoon through Sunday morning) at Lake Puddingstone, East Shore RV. This is a yearly CBBQA event and will be similar to previous Q-Fests.

We have reserved the premium RV / Camping spots:
B175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194
Use the links below to the information and worksheet to see where (what spot), what, and how you want to participate.

Links with information for Q-fest 2008 are below:
< Q-Fest, 2008, Worksheet >
< Q-Fest, 2008, Information Sheet >

In a nutshell the concept is:
- BBQ folks get together to relax (no stress from a contest), camp out, and get to socialize and know each other more
- Everybody brings a pot-luck entry for the meal they would like to participate in (I hope all the meals). Friday-dinner, Saturday-breakfast, Saturday-late-lunch/dinner, Sunday-breakfast
- Folks volunteer to do seminars on topics they specialize in on Friday evening & Saturday morning

Everybody participates in multiple ways (what suits each person best). As in:
- Brings some Ezie ups, chairs, tables for all to use
- Brings their BBQ Pit (pits are NOT provided) if needed
- Cooks & plates their favorite pot-luck submissions
- Helps setup, serve, break down, & police up
- Contributes resources for all (campfire wood, ?)

Remember, many hands make little work. In other words, when everybody gets involved, helps a little bit, contributes something or other, we end up with a fantastic event, a great time had by all, with very little effort or strain put on any one, or small group, of enthusiastic volunteers.
I really hope everybody can attend and hope to see the biggest turn out yet!!!

Please peruse the links below and then just email me Dan@BBQbyDan.com to enter your requests on the

Below are some links to previous years write-ups and pictures:
[< Q-Fest, 2007, Pictures >
< Q-Fest, 2006, Pictures >
< Q-Fest, 2005, Pictures >
< Q-Fest, 2004, Pictures >
< Q-Fest, 2003, Pictures >
< Q-Fest, 1998, Pictures >

Links with information for Q-fest 2008 are below:
< Q-Fest, 2008, Information Sheet >

Thanks,
Dan Cannon
Dan@BBQbyDan.com
661-600-2530

Edited by Dan Cannon, 15 August 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#2 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

The NoCal Q-Fest has a cool logo for their wiki page and a Name -- The "Wine and Swine" (don't know if that is permanent or will change yearly).

We in SoCal should have a cool logo for our wiki page too!!! But I am no artist -- graphic or otherwise-- so I can't suggest anything. Any talent out there? Bueller?

#3 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,184 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:10 PM

Dan Give me 186 this year

#4 Glen Stanley

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:You don't want to know :)

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

Dan,

I will have to wait until December to confirm, but I should be able to bring enough water/Powerade and firewood for everyone again.

#5 Pat Burke

I love to cook with wine, Sometimes it goes in the Food.

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

Kristin, if you and I have that marketing company up and running, we can handle the logos, promotion and such all done by the event! :p

Edited by Pat Burke, 15 August 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#6 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

Great idea -- you are obviously going to be the brains of this operation!!

#7 Pat Burke

I love to cook with wine, Sometimes it goes in the Food.

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

you can handle all the legal ends of the business :blink:

#8 Kim Walton

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2008

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

Hey Dan,

We'll be there. Put us in the usual spot. I'll let you know what food we will bring. I'd love t help with the food setup, Can also bring a couple of tables and an EZ up. Please NO RAIN!

Kim

#9 Dan Cannon

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

> Hey Dan,
> We'll be there. Put us in the usual spot. I'll let you know what food we will bring. I'd love t help with the food setup, Can also bring a couple of tables and an EZ up. Please NO RAIN!
Kim,

I have you down for all the above on the worksheet. Thanks especially for volunteering to help with the food setup. That is my most critically needed set of volunteer spots.

I went to weather.com and verified that they are 95% certain there will be no rain, sunny, and 85 degrees, weather that weekend. So, no worries about any rain Friday, Saturday or Saturday (2/8-9-10/08. However, good thing we did not choose the weekend after (2/15-16-17/08) as they predicted a thunderstorm and cloudburst everyday that weekend!!!

Dan

Edited by Dan Cannon, 16 August 2007 - 10:05 AM.

#10 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

--Bentley Dark Lord of the Pellet

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

Kristin said she will do a "real" ABT seminar in 08! I am looking forward to crushing Dr Don's boiled ribs!

#11 Dan Cannon

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

View PostBentley Meredith, on Aug 16 2007, 11:50 AM, said:

Kristin said she will do a "real" ABT seminar in 08! I am looking forward to crushing Dr Don's boiled ribs!
So, Kristin,

Does that mean that I can put you down for an Atomic Popper Seminar on the < Q-Fest, 2008, Worksheet > ?
And, if so, would you prefer Friday evening or Saturday morning prior to noon?

Thanks,
Dan

#12 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

Dan,

I don't think people could take back-to-back AP seminars!! I just told Bentley that he should have let me write his material for last year since he apparently had about two sentences to share with folks.

I would be happy to do some type of seminar on Saturday just to fill out the morning some. I don't think people are interested in my normal seminar topics -- "How to Handle Claims in Order to Avoid Bad Faith Liability" or "Writing the Perfect Summary Judgment Motion"!!

Not that I am the model of perfection on this topic, but I could do a presentation on how to make up competition boxes. I wish someone would do a seminar on making your own rubs -- i.e. what type of ingedients go into a rub to make it hot or spicy or sweet, etc. Would also be fun to learn how to make a pizza on the smoker or grill -- anyone know how to do that? If so, want to share your knowledge with a seminar? The only other topics I know something about are baking, making jam and gardening and I don't think any of those are relevant! If we are really desparate, I could get Bent to do something on how to make your own pastrami -- I will write his materials this time so that the seminar lasts more than 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

Maybe Ben can bring a portable laptop and do a seminar on how to become a wiki page writer? It would be nice if the BoD decided to set aside some time for a "round table'' discussion on the pros and cons of the CBBQA becoming a sanctioning body. Whoever wanted to participate could have time to share their views on the subject and get some live interaction and feed back going.

You can also put me down to assist Kim with the food set up. Just let me know if you want me to do a seminar on boxes or whether other, more entertaining candidates have stepped forward. :)

Edited by Kristin Meredith, 16 August 2007 - 04:48 PM.

#13 Glen Stanley

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:You don't want to know :)

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

This may be too big of an undertaking for Q-Fest, but I've always wanted to learn how to cook a whole hog, something we don't seem to see much of out west.

Through a friend, I might be able to get one donated for the event. I know nothing about doing it, except that I can't do one on my WSM :D

Is this something that might be possible? Is there a member with the knowledge, experience, and right size cooker that would be willing to teach this? Would there even be enough interest?

#14 Dan Cannon

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

View PostKristin Meredith, on Aug 16 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

Dan,

I don't think people could take back-to-back AP seminars!! I just told Bentley that he should have let me write his material for last year since he apparently had about two sentences to share with folks.

I would be happy to do some type of seminar on Saturday just to fill out the morning some. I don't think people are interested in my normal seminar topics -- "How to Handle Claims in Order to Avoid Bad Faith Liability" or "Writing the Perfect Summary Judgment Motion"!!

Not that I am the model of perfection on this topic, but I could do a presentation on how to make up competition boxes. I wish someone would do a seminar on making your own rubs -- i.e. what type of ingedients go into a rub to make it hot or spicy or sweet, etc. Would also be fun to learn how to make a pizza on the smoker or grill -- anyone know how to do that? If so, want to share your knowledge with a seminar? The only other topics I know something about are baking, making jam and gardening and I don't think any of those are relevant! If we are really desparate, I could get Bent to do something on how to make your own pastrami -- I will write his materials this time so that the seminar lasts more than 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

Maybe Ben can bring a portable laptop and do a seminar on how to become a wiki page writer? It would be nice if the BoD decided to set aside some time for a "round table'' discussion on the pros and cons of the CBBQA becoming a sanctioning body. Whoever wanted to participate could have time to share their views on the subject and get some live interaction and feed back going.

You can also put me down to assist Kim with the food set up. Just let me know if you want me to do a seminar on boxes or whether other, more entertaining candidates have stepped forward. :)
Kristin,

After having done these for years I have found there is one best answer to your questions, and other folks that ask the same type questions, reference to what "seminar to do" or "what potluck entrée" to bring.

That answer is "bring us your best". You know what that is because it is your favorite and you know that it will fit in as a perfect topic or food item. That way it will have "magic", it will be "very good", and you will give it your "passionate best". That is what everybody wants to see and taste. I prefer to not suggest what "it" might be. Anything brought with that type of enthusiasm will always work out just perfect!

So, bottom line, I will gladly accept whatever we can get. Give it some thought and make a recommendation which I will happily put into the <QFest, 2008, Worksheet> / schedule for everybody to enjoy. I am just the organizer of everybody's input and participation.

Thanks for offering to help with the food and serving setup.

Dan

Edited by Dan Cannon, 16 August 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#15 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,184 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

THATS IT
Lets do a whole Hog

I should have my Stumps Hog Cooker by then

CBBQA is taking a more active role this year with this
Dan has been a great guy taking care of the details for so long
We will be stepping up to assist him more

#16 Dan Cannon

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

View PostGlen Stanley, on Aug 16 2007, 06:09 PM, said:

This may be too big of an undertaking for Q-Fest, but I've always wanted to learn how to cook a whole hog, something we don't seem to see much of out west.

Through a friend, I might be able to get one donated for the event. I know nothing about doing it, except that I can't do one on my WSM :D

Is this something that might be possible? Is there a member with the knowledge, experience, and right size cooker that would be willing to teach this? Would there even be enough interest?
Glen,

The picture below of a whole hog was done at the East Shore RV Q-Fest held November 5th, 6th, & 7th, 1999 in a Friday night seminar given by Smokin' John and Flaming Linda Burke. John & Linda gave a Friday night presentation on how to skin it without a tear in the hide, season it, then recover it, then put it in his smoker and cook till morning, and finally on how to present as pictured to the customer. If the skin tore while cooking the skin would widen and that is not good.

I think it would be a great idea and seminar to put on!!! Thom, was that prevous post a "whole hog seminar" offer I can put in the < Q-Fest, 2008, Worksheet > ???

p.s.
Since I like animals so much it is hard for me to sometimes see the entire carcass as presented whole below. Even though I have cooked literally thousands of butts and briskets!

Attached Image: Henrita.jpg

Edited by Dan Cannon, 16 August 2007 - 06:11 PM.

#17 russell jones

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:4X4ING FISHING, B.B.Q. archery... russell's big bite bar b que

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

View PostGlen Stanley, on Aug 17 2007, 01:09 AM, said:

Glen I'd like to see some one cook a whole hog that would be cool! I'd like to help if some one cooks one.

#18 russell jones

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:4X4ING FISHING, B.B.Q. archery... russell's big bite bar b que

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

dan put me down for 178 or 180

#19 Brian Kreisler

Pops

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Interests:BBQing, rockets

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

Dan, I will take spot 188 again.

Thanks,
Brian

#20 Dan Cannon

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

View PostBrian Kreisler, on Aug 16 2007, 07:29 PM, said:

Dan, I will take spot 188 again.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian & Russell,

I have you down for your requested spots on the < Q-Fest, 2008, Worksheet > .

As an fyi to all 10 of the 20 availalbe RV spots have now been taken.

Dan

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users