Whole Hog

30 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Zalewski

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

So I want to try a whole hog on my smoker. Any suggestions for rubs, cooking methods, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Robert Diaz

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, dogs, poker and mixed martial arts (MMA)

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

Big Country - When are you planning on smoking the hog? If you allow me, I sure would like to be there to help/watch. :) I haven't done one myself, but will in the future. Let me know.

#3 Brian Zalewski

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

I haven't made any plans as of yet. Would like to get it done in the next month or so. You are more than welcome to join in the festivities!

#4 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

--Bentley Dark Lord of the Pellet

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

Big Country, on Jun 7 2007, 06:13 PM, said:

So I want to try a whole hog on my smoker. Any suggestions for rubs, cooking methods, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Size will make a difference...we go back to the hog or pig debate. I have cooked a pig(less than 125 pounds)a couple of times in the Traegers 075's. They were about 50#'s dressed out. I would also suggest you start out with a small pig for the first one to get your feet wet( if you have trouble, you dont mess up as much food!) I would strongly urge you to inject the pig with a brine solution, again all prefrence, but if you want some recipes let me know. Make sure you mop it on a regular basis. Rubs are a matter of prefrence. Do us a favor, and if you can, take pictures and let us know how it comes out!

Edited by Bentley Meredith, 07 June 2007 - 01:26 PM.

#5 Brian Zalewski

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

Def would love recipes and any suggestions. What's the reason for the brine solution injection? I'm planning on starting real small...prob in the 30 lb range. I will (hopefully) take pictures and post them. I just finished building my new BBQ and did about 50 lbs of meat for Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, I had no help and didn't sleep for 43 hours. Seems I forgot to take pics of the loaded Q and the finished product.

#6 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

Big Country, on Jun 7 2007, 09:42 PM, said:

Def would love recipes and any suggestions. What's the reason for the brine solution injection? I'm planning on starting real small...prob in the 30 lb range. I will (hopefully) take pictures and post them. I just finished building my new BBQ and did about 50 lbs of meat for Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, I had no help and didn't sleep for 43 hours. Seems I forgot to take pics of the loaded Q and the finished product.

It's going to be a long cook to get the entire pig tender, will help to make the meat moist over the long haul.

#7 Brian Zalewski

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

Do you get your pigs locally? Where can I find a pig farm in Orange County/San Diego County?

#8 Tom Chilton

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Grilling, cooking

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

You can get pigs at Restaurant Depot. For the rub / injection, I use the Chris Lily shoulder rub and injection. You're just rubbing the inside of the pig, not the skin. Inject him good.

Posted Image

#9 Brian Zalewski

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Tom! Is there a reason for not rubbing the skin, or is this simply a matter of preferance?

#10 Tom Chilton

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Grilling, cooking

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

Big Country, on Jun 8 2007, 10:49 AM, said:

Thanks Tom! Is there a reason for not rubbing the skin, or is this simply a matter of preferance?

I guess you could rub the skin, but I don't think it's going to go through the skin to the meat. As you can see, I do mine on a rotisserie (would prefer a smoker, but rotisserie is what I have) and the rub would burn on the skin with the direct heat.

What kind of smoker did you build? How big of a pig/hog can it hold?

#11 Glen Stanley

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:You don't want to know :)

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hey Big Country,

I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I want to do a whole hog someday myself. I might try one for Christmas this year.

I have some info. that I found on the Internet for doing whole hogs. I'll see if I can find it, and send you the web-pages.

You can also check out the AZBBQA forums @ www.AZBBQA.com , they have lots of info. posted on doing a whole hog. Also, the BBQ Brethren (www.bbq-brethren.com) is a great place to look for info. and ask for help. Those folks do whole hogs on a regular basis.

Good luck ;)

#12 Peter Benac

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photography, BBQ

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

You don't rub the skin because you don't eat the skin. The rub won't penetrate the skin anyway.

Here's how we cook pig\hog here on the wolf compound and most places in Eastern North Carolina. Here at the compound there aren't too many months that go by without 2-3 hundred porks of pork being cooked.

We butterfly them. This means the spine has to be cut right down the middle. This way they lay flat on the cooker. We cook them ribs down for 3-4 hours... The skin will take on a deep brown color. They are not rubbed or brined or injected at all. When that skin takes on the color between light and dark brown sugar we flip Mr. Hog ribs up.

It is during this time that we inject the hog with some good ol' fashion Eastern Style NC BBQ Sauce. It is also during this time that the grease will accumulate in the rib cavity. Scoop this out with a serving spoon and then inject the hams and shoulders. You keep doing this every 20-30 minutes until you can grab a foot and it will twist easily or all the meat is above 165 internal.

If you leave the head on cover the ears with foil or they will burn. Same with the tail if it's still there. Don't forget to block up Mr\Mrs Piggy mouth or the apple won't fit.

Anytime ya'll want in person lessons just give me a couple weeks notice and a plane ticket.. I'll be there to help ya'll out.. Bentley you add $25.00 hour for you lessons.. :p

#13 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

Like you expect me to believe people in the Carolina's would know how to cook pork...Virginia maybe! <_<

Edited by Bentley Meredith, 25 June 2007 - 02:39 PM.

#14 Glen Stanley

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:11 AM

Anytime ya'll want in person lessons just give me a couple weeks notice and a plane ticket.. I'll be there to help ya'll out.. Bentley you add $25.00 hour for you lessons..

Now there's an idea for a Q-Fest Class/Demo...............

Peter,

Come to Q-fest next year and teach the class. I'm sure we can find a a pig and a whole hog cooker somewhere.

Edited by Glen Stanley, 27 June 2007 - 07:12 AM.

#15 Brian Zalewski

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

Don't eat the skin?!?! Why the hell not? Pig skin is delicious when it's fried. Will this not apply to a BBQ'd pig?

Peter Benac, on Jun 25 2007, 09:20 PM, said:

You don't rub the skin because you don't eat the skin. The rub won't penetrate the skin anyway.

#16 John Miller

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Last couple I did not too many hit the skin....but a few always want to. Its always crispy. Last one I did cooked a bit faster then I expected on the Lang. Meat was great but could have lifted most of the skin off all in one piece like a shell.

I have to do one for a party in Aug but maybe we could do one prior to that. For ummmm the heck of it lol

#17 Glen Stanley

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

I love doing things just for the heck of it...........

I'm in :lol:

#18 Walter Brooker

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:anything BBQ

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

Bentley Meredith, on Jun 25 2007, 06:39 PM, said:

Like you expect me to believe people in the Carolina's would know how to cook pork...Virginia maybe! <_<

Wanna bet I am from South Carolina were doing whole hog is a art and BBQ a religion/way of life.

Walter`s Whole Hog
Ingredients
Hog
Salt
Pepper
Hickory wood
Basting Ingredients
1 qt. Apple cider or juice
2 sticks butter
3 tbs. Tabasco sauce
1 tbs. garlic powder
2 tbs. Red pepper
Mix basting ingredients in pot and heat on stove, do not bring to a boil just heat to melt butter and blend seasonings together.
Directions
Put Hickory wood, a small limb from a Hickory tree will smoke longer . Heat grill to 250 degrees, as meat warms, grill temperature will rise, level temp at 275 degrees. Rinse hog, salt and pepper generously. Put hog on grill SKIN SIDE DOWN, yes SKIN SIDE DOWN, find lowest point in rib cage and cut a small hole to drain excess grease. Mop hog with basting sauce and close lid. Every 45min. to 1 hour baste until done. 150 # hog should take app. 6 hours, at 4 1/2 hours flip hog where skin side is up and baste skin. Meat temperature should be 170 degrees when done, always check temperature in thickest part of the hams.
To finish cooking skins, remove meat from grill, turn skin fat side down. Heat on high and let cook for 30 to 45 min. or until crispy.

Now for the price of a hotel room for the weekend or some place for us to crash ,2 plane tickets ( myself and my wife ) 250.00 per student , a hog cooker , and everything above , yall get a lesson and some damn fine BBQ and cracklins??

#19 Peter Benac

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photography, BBQ

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

Walter Brooker, on Sep 24 2007, 12:16 PM, said:

Wanna bet I am from South Carolina were doing whole hog is a art and BBQ a religion/way of life.

Now you never mind Bentley.. he likes to believe he knows everythin' cuse he's from Virginia.. :getlost:

@Glen I know I haven't been around much of late, but anytime ya'll want a hog cookin' class I might just find the time to come back out and visit all ya'll :console:

Then all ya'll can come visit the 3rd Annual Eggs by the Bay and Smitty, I and a whole bunch of Egg Legends will show ya'll how to use them Egg ya'll are gettin'. :thumbsup:

Edited by Peter Benac, 28 January 2008 - 01:51 AM.

#20 Glen Stanley

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Peter Benac, on Jan 28 2008, 01:49 AM, said:

Now you never mind Bentley.. he likes to believe he knows everythin' cuse he's from Virginia.. :getlost:

@Glen I know I haven't been around much of late, but anytime ya'll want a hog cookin' class I might just find the time to come back out and visit all ya'll :console:

Then all ya'll can come visit the 3rd Annual Eggs by the Bay and Smitty, I and a whole bunch of Egg Legends will show ya'll how to use them Egg ya'll are gettin'. :thumbsup:

Sounds great.......... I'll be there if it happens.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users