Wiki: I hate when people create wiki pages with no content and then try and discus them

8 replies to this topic

#1 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: I hate when people create wiki pages with no content and then try and discus them

#2 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hahaha now this is funny right here!

#3 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Best wiki page to date! LOL

#4 Bryan Wood

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Fishing, and BBQ

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:37 AM

I may be in the wrong place here...but judging from the comments above, this may be the most appropriate place to post a question or make a constructive suggestion about event "wiki" pages (I sense some of the same frustration I have experienced on this site):

While I appreciate the fact that dates for upcoming events are posted on the main CBBQA page, what is difficult to comprehend is: 1) why, when you click on the event, you get sent to a wiki page that has virtually no information?; and 2) when you go to the forums in search of more info, you click into a wiki "discussion" page with the same lack of details and a hyperlink, that then directs you to the same information-voided wiki event page.

I don't think that I am the first to ask about this; and I think that when someone posed this issue previously (and fairly recently), it was suggested that they go find last year's event posts for more answers. I am fairly new to this site, CBBQA, and competition bbq in general...so I have no problem chalking this up to my possible ignorance of the standard operating procedures here if that is the case; but if I may make a suggestion(s) that could be directed at those who could make a difference:
  • Can CBBQA require that if a link to an event is created (i.e. wiki event page), that the page the user gets sent to actually has some useful content attached to it? Date, location, entry fees, entry forms, contact, a website that might provide more answers...at minimum, basic stuff? On that same note, if there is a discussion page created in the forums for an event, especially if a link is embedded for the event on the discussion page, that it not send you to the same place, with the same lack of info?
It is apparent that in many of the discussions about upcoming events, most of you pros have been around and know the ins and outs of the local, annual events--but coming from someone with a lack of this history, it is very challenging sometimes to obtain information about upcoming competitions. This may be a very good reason to make some improvements to the site, coming from a greenhorn with fresh eyes. And yes, I realize that not all event pages are "blank" but many of them are.

I apologize if I sound critical--but I don't throw this out there to be a pain in the (rear)...I consider this a constructive suggestion with purpose. One that may be a benefit to this association and it's members--especially newer ones like me who are still trying to find their way around. I appreciate the hard work put into the maintenance of this site, and the contributions/ sacrifices made by volunteers who manage our association; just a suggestion is all.

#5 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

I'll say it again, the wiki needs to go. Replace it with info pages that can be used by contest organizers who can just cut/paste their material to make it easier for them to populate a page and provide the much needed info to teams/judges interested in attending. Having one thread with all questions/answers is a little more difficult due to anyone being able to start a thread. Using a word like "official" in a thread could allow organizers to focus on one thread and moderators to merge others who start up competing threads.

#6 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

Bryan, thanks for your honest and insightful feedback. I wish more newcomers would take the time to voice their opinion as you have. I created this post because I'm one of the few people that receive e-mails very similar to yours about contest info and the uselessness of the wiki. In fact a few people where talking about the CBBQA this weekend at a comp and the first thing I was asked is why don't we update our website???

I totally agree that having a front page with all the contest listed and no info is a complete waste of time. Users have e-mailed and asked "What's the point" and sadly I have no explanation. I brought it up hoping others would see the uselessness in posting 16 contest with NO info about the contest at all. I guess the perception of having useful information is better than actually having useful information to some. In my opinion this is a huge dis-service to anyone hoping to get info about the contest.

Even if we had content in the wiki the contest doesn't get discussed their it gets discussed here so important items that may have been left out in the wiki end up getting answered here like arrival time, electrical etc, parking etc making the wiki even more useless. You end up going back and forth between 2 sources of info for no reason whatsoever.

I think the key problem is as you mentioned if everyone here that uses it already knows how to use it they simply can't see the problems and frustrations of the newcomers.

#7 Bryan Wood

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Agreed Abel...

Just seems to me that there could be a better format that isn't quite so disjointed...maybe a full-on website renovation? I have seen other threads that discuss these issues as well...some really good ideas about many topics in support of a website remodel--including better promotion and merchandising for CBBQA; search and web links; improved distribution of information; ToY and RoY rules and resources; let alone the posting of bbq competition information. From what I have seen though, it appears there is some resistance.

Let's face it...I realize we are in the business of bbq--not websites--but I would venture to say that somewhere within our large membership pool there are some techies that would probably jump at the chance (volunteer) their expertise to help make some site improvements. Our membership is one of our greatest assets--let's draw on it.

Like I have said before though...at minimum it would be very helpful if the wiki event pages actually had details attached to them. The website remodel was me shooting for the stars...so if I fall short, maybe the lowest result will be better event information; which is why I posted anyways. I wish I was a techie...I would do anything to help out if I had the skills.

#8 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

O.K. I hear y'all... so... with the exception of the last four events of the year...

I have cut and pasted basic information from old wiki's and KCBS as much information as I could find for the organizers and their events to the new 2014 wikis.

I will take total responsibility for posting events in advance of organizers having all the information ready to go. It is an open and honest attempt to assist organizers, new or not, with getting people calendar event information, because I know many teams like to budget and plan in advance.

It was also to assist a request to fill up our lackluster looking calendar of events.

#9 Bryan Wood

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thank you Tracy...I really do appreciate it!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users