Need a good slaw recipe for pulled pork sammies (reward offered)

9 replies to this topic

#1 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Ok i'm cooking pulled pork sammies in a couple of weeks for a local church function and Anna is making the slaw. She's looking for a good fresh coleslaw recipe and is offering 12 handmade cake pops to the person who can either post or PM me the best recipe!!

#2 Frank Smith

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Golf

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

My wife makes a great slaw with horseradish (use Atomic brand - it's the best). This recipe looks right, but I'll check. Go light on the horseradish and add more as needed. Best the next day.

http://www.food.com/...-coleslaw-41337

#3 Frank Smith

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Golf

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Here's the one my wife uses (from Emeril Lagasse). She does not use the cucumbers or the lemon juoice. The original recipe was part of a Beer Battered Fried Trout Taco recipe, but I use it to go with pulled pork sammies.

Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw:

2 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
2 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons finely sliced green onions
1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
2 jalapenos, stem and seeds removed, minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish or 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 1/2 teaspoons Creole mustard or other coarse-grained mustard

Combine the green and red cabbages, carrots, and green onions in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl toss the cucumbers with the lemon juice and add to the cabbage mixture.

In a small mixing bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the seasoned vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and mustard and stir to combine. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the coleslaw and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight before serving.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

#4 David Tendick

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:F1 & ALMS Racing, BBQ/Cooking, Teaching & Coaching, Action Pistol Shooting & CQB Shooting, CBJ

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Try this one, I use it all the time with pulled pork and I always sell out.
Carolina Red Slaw
Toss together
1 bag shredded purple cabbage = 2 heads
1 bag shredded cabbage = 2 heads
1 bag shredded carrots = 20 carrots
Dressing:
Bring to a boil and then remove and cool
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 cups sugar

When cool add 4 cups ketchup
whisk and then dress the cabbage.

#5 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostDavid Tendick, on 18 October 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Try this one, I use it all the time with pulled pork and I always sell out.
Carolina Red Slaw
Toss together
1 bag shredded purple cabbage = 2 heads
1 bag shredded cabbage = 2 heads
1 bag shredded carrots = 20 carrots
Dressing:
Bring to a boil and then remove and cool
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 cups sugar

When cool add 4 cups ketchup
whisk and then dress the cabbage.

Perfection

#6 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

Wow those look great!! I think I personally would like the spicy variation, but not sure if Anna would. I'll add those to the list.

So far we have 5 and Anna is actually going to make all of them and decide some time next week. Good thing I have pulled pork leftover to try them on.

#7 Anna Stockel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:"Do it all"

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I won a 'Throwdown' with this:

[indent]

Mayo
Blues Hog BBQ sauce or other tamarind based BBQ sauce
Cider vinegar

Maple syrup
Celery seeds

BBQ rub
Freshly ground black pepper
Scallions
Cilantro
Red onions
Various peppers - sweet & hot
Apples
Carrots
Napa and red cabbage (I like the light texture of Napa vs regular green)

Currents

Blend in food processor mayo, Blues Hog BBQ sauce, cider vinegar, maple syrup, freshly ground black pepper, celery seeds, BBQ rub, scallions & cilantro; chop & add red onions, various peppers, & apples; shred & add carrots & cabbage; add currents and stir. Let peculate in the frig.

The sauce ingredients are listed from largest quantities to smallest.[/indent]

#8 Dan Drogichen

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

I found this one in Saveur Magazine May/June 1998. The article is "KC BBQ", pages 70-86.
From the owner of Marty's BBQ. I make it regularly to serve with BBQ.

Attached Files

Edited by Dan Drogichen, 21 October 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#9 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

thanks for the additions. I think Anna made a few yesterday, but will also make a few more on Wed so I'll add these to the list!!

#10 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Ok we prepared 8 different slaw recipes and tested them all. The host of the event and a few coordinators also tested them. We actually ended up with a favorite creamy and a favorite zesty recipe. Then on a whim I decided to combine the 2 and really enjoyed the combo slaw together. I decided to toss both of them and let everyone test them again and it was a unanimous decision to go with that recipe.

To make things easier we made them separately and combined them a few hours before serving. I cooked 6 butts around 8-10 lbs each and we sold out in about 4 hours. The event was a big hit and the church raised a lot of money.

David Tendick's Carolina Red Slaw was the winner!!!

I found the below online posted on another forum.

INGREDIENTS

Dressing
1 quart mayonnaise
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup French's yellow mustard
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic -- medium size
1 squeeze fresh lemon juice

Slaw

2 small heads green cabbage
3 large carrots
1 small head red cabbage
1 bunch green onions

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Mix all the above dressing ingredients, except for the garlic, together in a large bowl or mixer. Take a cup of the now made dressing and put in a blender with the garlic cloves and blend until the garlic is pureed. Pour this portion of the dressing back into the main bowl of dressing and stir till well blended. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 3 or 4 hours to give the dressing time to blend flavors.
2. Shred green cabbage and place in separate bowl. Grate carrots, dice green onions till very fine, and shred 1/3 to 1/2 of th red cabbage. Place each of these into a separate bowl also. Now put as much of the prepared green cabbage as you think you will eat into a large bowl and mix the carrots, green onions, and red cabbage, one at a time and by the hand full into the green cabbage until the desired color is attained, and the slaw looks fairly "busy". Add dressing SLOWLY and stir. When it is at the wetness level you want, cover and let stand in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. The colder it is kept, the better.

NOTES
The garlic in this recipe is suppose to be the "secret ingredient", due to the way it was originally intended to be used. That is, not enough of it to single it out, but if used properly, it would leave all of your guests wondering what you had in your slaw that gave it that special, superb flavor. When used in this respect, it can make your slaw taste like you have added a hundred great things to it.However, if you are a garlic lover, then add as much of it as your little heart desires

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users