22 replies to this topic

#21 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 22 July 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I think this is a very good idea. And I fully agree with Kevin that a clear understanding of what KCBS deems "average" is very important. I would like to see the class add a few seasoned cooks to the class topics to get their takes. Granted Harry, Donna and Scott all have a vast wealth of experience from the outside of the judge's tent, but I think it would be very important to have the judges understand what we cooks are striving for, and explain how we feel about the scoring. Get our take on average or what differentiates an 8 from a 9 to us.

I guess I can only say this. I've known K&K for the entirety of my BBQ life. And whether it be as a cook or as a judge, I accept their interpretation of what the numbers mean and how they go about teaching judges about that process. As far as I am concerned, they are the absolute best reps out there. I feel that they do a great job and I doubt many will disagree. To think that our cooks could do better than they can at explaining what the numbers mean, well, I disagree with that Steve. I can't. I can't even come close. Please remember they have done this longer than almost all of the cooks out there and have represented more contests than most of us have cooked.

I can accept, as a cook, the variation in judge's opinion about my cook in the same way that I can accept as a judge, the variation of meat that sits on my plate. It is all part of the process.

#22 Amberleigh Stipicevich

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostDana Myers, on 22 July 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

I'm curious how the class topic "Presentation" releates to judging of meat appearance. Can you explain a bit how the two are related?

Hi Dana. One of the first things I discuss is the word presentation vs appearance. When I table captain, I always use the term "Appearance of the meat" and that is what it is. One of my goals in this portion of the class is to have more judges ignore the garnish. We are to look for disqualifications such as the improper garnish used or other foreign objects, but after disqualifying issues, the score is based only on the meat. I incorporate a bit of anatomy and discuss how there is no score called perfect on the score sheet. We'll be sticking to KCBS guidelines, going over the appearance portion of the comment card and how that related to the score given. We are not judging art. The box should have care taken with it, but it is not the Mona Lisa and isn't really a presentation. I did not come up with the name of that section, but I left it the way it was. I actually really like that was the name given to it just to make the point. I even have the attendees cross off the word "presentation" at the top of my hand out and write in "appearance of the meat" for a kinetic/viseral tool to remember.

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know.

-Amber

#23 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostAmberleigh Stipicevich, on 23 July 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Hi Dana. One of the first things I discuss is the word presentation vs appearance. When I table captain, I always use the term "Appearance of the meat" and that is what it is. One of my goals in this portion of the class is to have more judges ignore the garnish. We are to look for disqualifications such as the improper garnish used or other foreign objects, but after disqualifying issues, the score is based only on the meat. I incorporate a bit of anatomy and discuss how there is no score called perfect on the score sheet. We'll be sticking to KCBS guidelines, going over the appearance portion of the comment card and how that related to the score given. We are not judging art. The box should have care taken with it, but it is not the Mona Lisa and isn't really a presentation. I did not come up with the name of that section, but I left it the way it was. I actually really like that was the name given to it just to make the point. I even have the attendees cross off the word "presentation" at the top of my hand out and write in "appearance of the meat" for a kinetic/viseral tool to remember.

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know.

-Amber

This sounds positively awesome, Amber. Thank you!

Dana

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users