Smoked Pork Loin

5 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce McDonald

New to this forum

• 19 posts
  • Interests:Q'n, cook'n, game'n, hunt'n

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:46 PM

I'm going to try smoking my first ever pork loin this 4th of July, along with the plethora of other favorites. I saw one where it was wrapped in bacon before smoking. Anyone try this before and have any suggestions?

Bruce. :)

#2 Lacey Fisher

CBBQA Co-Rookie Team of the Year - 2007

• PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

I have done it before- I don't remember if I had bacon around it though... the biggest tip I can give you is don't overcook it or it will have the texture of sawdust. I brined mine, then butterflied it and put a layer of apple-cornbread stuffing then rolled it up like a pinwheel. It was pretty declicious!

#3 Pat Kennealy

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

Ditto on Lacey's comments, brine it, use a water pan, try anything and everything not to dry it out. Fairly lean piece of pork. (My last one cooked very fast, came out dry).

Please post the results, I'd be interested in a success story.

#4 Perry Gentry

New to this forum

• 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:30 AM

I did a couple for my father in-law for a lodge dinner. They were so big, I cut them in thirds.
I used the sweet mesquite rub found at out local Costco. Put it on and let it sit on the meat over night.
Put it in my bradley electric using Mesquite Bisquits. I have to say it was very good.

View PostBruce McDonald, on Jun 29 2009, 01:46 PM, said:

I'm going to try smoking my first ever pork loin this 4th of July, along with the plethora of other favorites. I saw one where it was wrapped in bacon before smoking. Anyone try this before and have any suggestions?

Bruce. :)

#5 LAURENCE HILL

CBBQA President - 2009 & 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Woodworking

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

I inject them with apple juice, cook to 130 then se in a pan cook to 150 then wrap pull 165.

#6 Bruce McDonald

New to this forum

• 19 posts
  • Interests:Q'n, cook'n, game'n, hunt'n

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

Well, I smoked my first pork lion with mixed results. It looked and tasted great, but it was a little dry. I pulled it at 150 and let rest wrapped in foil for about 10 mins. I had marinaded it with a bit of spices in a lemon lime juice mixture with some red wine vinegar. Wrapped it in a lattice of bacon, and on to the smoker. Next time I will try injecting.

Thanks for everyones input.

Bruce

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users