• 831 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: Competitive BBQ

#2 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Great articles! I had to smile at Donna's mention of cooking competition ribs and brisket for her daughter's birthday party. I've done that a few times for our kids. It's amazing how quickly a backyard full of teenagers will demolish two pork butts and literally wipe the pan clean with pieces of bread; ribs literally disappear when you blink. Kids don't stand around evaluating tenderness or commenting on the appearance, they just eat it up :-)

#3 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

From Your first Cookoff:

Although disagreements among team members about which recipe to use or which technique to employ can make a larger group more difficult.

Very true. One way to combat this source of excitement is arrive at the competition with pre-agreed recipes (on paper) for the entries, get the debate done before showing-up.

#4 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Thanks Dana. If you go to the link and hit the back button, you'll see the BBQ Articles that we've been working on. I'm not completely done yet. There are topics about contest reviews which go pretty far back. I found some real gems from Harry Stewart back in 2007. There will also be articles about QFest, general events (KCBS banquet, etc), judging, volunteering, classes (which I think is important to cover), cooking articles (I need to find Scott Hares writeup on beef ribs), team articles (I think Kim Moore had a nice one), and how to put on a bbq contest for newbies. I'm putting out requests to our general membership for past articles which covered any of these topics. Since the articles need to be in a certain format for all of this to work, I am requesting that any articles that are to be added be emailed to me and I'll get some kind of order going. Please email me your BBQ words of art at butchersdaughter@hotmail.com. Many thanks to Scott Hares for helping me figure out how to negotiate the website.

Thanks everyone.
donna

Edited by Donna Fong, 10 November 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#5 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostDana Myers, on 10 November 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

From Your first Cookoff:

Although disagreements among team members about which recipe to use or which technique to employ can make a larger group more difficult.

Very true. One way to combat this source of excitement is arrive at the competition with pre-agreed recipes (on paper) for the entries, get the debate done before showing-up.
Or just have one person call the shots on flavor profiles..and make everything at home..leaves more time to concentrate on other activities

#6 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostDonna Fong, on 10 November 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Thanks Dana. If you go to the link and hit the back button, you'll see the BBQ Articles that we've been working on. I'm not completely done yet. There are topics about contest reviews which go pretty far back. I found some real gems from Harry Stewart back in 2007. There will also be articles about QFest, general events (KCBS banquet, etc), judging, volunteering, classes (which I think is important to cover), cooking articles (I need to find Scott Hares writeup on beef ribs), team articles (I think Kim Moore had a nice one), and how to put on a bbq contest for newbies. I'm putting out requests to our general membership for past articles which covered any of these topics. Since the articles need to be in a certain format for all of this to work, I am requesting that any articles that are to be added be emailed to me and I'll get some kind of order going. Please email me your BBQ words of art at butchersdaughter@hotmail.com. Many thanks to Scott Hares for helping me figure out how to negotiate the website.

Thanks everyone
donna
thank you..you've done a fantastic job!

#7 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

View Postmatt dalton, on 10 November 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

Or just have one person call the shots on flavor profiles..and make everything at home..leaves more time to concentrate on other activities

Agreed - but even then, the procedures, the cook temps/times/etc. really ought to be agreed-to and written-down in advance. It reduces disagreement in the heat of battle and it also means that team-mates can know what to do without repeatedly asking the head cook(s). It also helps to have a recognized head cook for each entry (and that can mean the same head cook for all entries); trying to get a consensus agreement under stress isn't fun.

Edited by Dana Myers, 10 November 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#8 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

View Postmatt dalton, on 10 November 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

thank you..you've done a fantastic job!

Thanks Matt!

#9 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Donna - did you see the cover article on the Bullsheet this month yet? It's about the tourists at a BBQ contest.

#10 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Looking forward to reading these great articles as a way to get through the traditional non BBQ months of winter. Donna, I love reading your missives, I think that a new career awaits you and your pen.

#11 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostDana Myers, on 10 November 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Agreed - but even then, the procedures, the cook temps/times/etc. really ought to be agreed-to and written-down in advance. It reduces disagreement in the heat of battle and it also means that team-mates can know what to do without repeatedly asking the head cook(s). It also helps to have a recognized head cook for each entry (and that can mean the same head cook for all entries); trying to get a consensus agreement under stress isn't fun.
I agree to some extent..but when you have a gameplan in place and cook it over and over writing down all that stuff can cause more confusion..we don't write anything down all we need to know is what time turn ins are..we adjust accordingly.of course I'm speaking about our team..each team has their own methods no doubt..ours has been to simplify not complicate..and we've been sucessful putting our plan to work..so while notes and written stuff can help some others can get by with it all stored upstairs..just my opinion.

#12 Steve Wilson

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I wish I could remember all the stuff to do. I can't so I write everything down and store it in my computer. I compare what I am doing to what I did previously. I have been on a cold streak, so I am going back to earlier bench marks. I completely agree with Matt on keeping it simple & don't complicate. I think recently I have complicated so I am going back to what worked before.

#13 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Great article didn't realize so many families cooked together. I'll have to put something together on the families that judge together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users