Morgan Hill

148 replies to this topic

#1 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Staying KCBS? I see nothing on the KCBS site.

#2 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostDarry Smith, on 09 December 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

Staying KCBS? I see nothing on the KCBS site.

Darry

In chossing a date I only look at the KCBS schedule and saw nothing either so we took the date. I hope it isnt a problem?

#3 scott bertken

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:harleys smoking meat racing and hunting what else is there

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

so does that mean its not kcbs ??????if so why does Arlie get to take the date lol ?

#4 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I think an event must re-up with KCBS before the end of this year to guarantee having the same weekend next year. However, I see no reason for KCBS to disallow them because these contests are some 400+ miles apart. For support of this, look at the KCBS sanctioning of the Big Oink and Bakersfield next year. Those two events are closer to each other than Long Beach and Morgan Hill.

CA has already proven to KCBS it can hold 2 contests on the same weekend with Bakersfield and Stockton (not to mention LV). I can only think of slightly more than a handfull of teams from SoCal attending Morgan Hill in 2011. With all the existing and new teams, there should be no reason for both contests to have rather large fields.

#5 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 10 December 2011 - 08:13 AM, said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think an event must re-up with KCBS before the end of this year to guarantee having the same weekend next year. However, I see no reason for KCBS to disallow them because these contests are some 400+ miles apart. For support of this, look at the KCBS sanctioning of the Big Oink and Bakersfield next year. Those two events are closer to each other than Long Beach and Morgan Hill.

CA has already proven to KCBS it can hold 2 contests on the same weekend with Bakersfield and Stockton (not to mention LV). I can only think of slightly more than a handfull of teams from SoCal attending Morgan Hill in 2011. With all the existing and new teams, there should be no reason for both contests to have rather large fields.

It is KCBS!

#6 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostArlie Bragg, on 11 December 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

It is KCBS!

View PostMark Brown, on 13 January 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

The judging will be done PNWBA style, just like we had up in Stockton for WOW last year and what will be done at Morgan Hill this year.

KCBS but with PNWBA turn ins?

#7 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hey Vance, I think you are combining two differnt events here. Let me try to add some clarity to this.

Smoke on the Mountain, PNWBA turn in schedule, open, real time judging with verbal feedback and scores.

Morgan Hill, PNWBA standard rules. Blind judging, written feedback and scores

Hope this helps.

ric

#8 Kenny Lee

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, San Jose Sharks, BMX, Football, NASCAR

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Disappointed this contest won't be kcbs.

Nothing against pnwba.

#9 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostKenny Lee, on 13 January 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Disappointed this contest won't be kcbs.

Nothing against pnwba.

I think teams should provide clear feedback on their sanctioning preference to organizers. You'll likely get what you ask for.

Matt

#10 Bill Souza

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'm disappointed its not going to be KCBS too. I would believe that most of CBBQA members are also KCBS members, and what happened last year happened and you guys got around it and made it happen. Why not use KCBS this year? Since the majority of teams are KCBS members I believe we should use KCBS. What's gives, what's the reasoning?

Edited by Bill Souza, 13 January 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#11 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

We've competed in IBCA, PNWBA and KCBS contests.

We've dedicated our time and funds to KCBS only at this point.

Sorry to hear of this news about Morgan Hill.

#12 Dave Malone

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

It's only KCBS for our team.
It allows us to see how our team measures up against the countries best.
Anything else in my opinion is second rate.

#13 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostDave Malone, on 13 January 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

It's only KCBS for our team.
It allows us to see how our team measures up against the countries best.
Anything else in my opinion is second rate.
Exactly!..IMO our state is finally starting to gain respect on the national level..and that national level is KCBS no if's,ands or butts about it..I dont understand why you guys would change sanctioning bodies on the states biggest contest..this seems real unfair to the top northern teams..it takes away some solid points from those great teams..I'm with Smitty and Bill and I'd be just as disappointed too guys!.

#14 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostRic Gilbert, on 13 January 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

Morgan Hill, PNWBA standard rules.

Thanks Ric, that's what I wanted to know.

#15 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Last year, I competed in two PNWBA events, Stockton and Longview, WA. On top of that, I found the PNWBA members at the Longview contest so easy going and open-minded that frankly, I yearned to be in more contests like that. I saw all parts of the chicken turned in which was awesome. I hate thighs. Almost everyone came over and talked to us and teams tended to have a smaller footprint and shared lots of information. Anyways, my positive experience there led me to becoming a member and I just mailed in my PNWBA ballot to vote for the next PNWBA board. I was surprised how many of the members I knew running for the board, which is more than the members I knew running for the KCBS board. I only know Gene. The PNWBA isn't 'that different and most of the other California teams who competed last year have turned in meats in different orders, at different times to different specifications. I competed in PNWBA, KCBS, IBCA and a couple of non-sanctioned events in one year. And I think it makes me a stronger cook to say, hey, I'll cook under whatever circumstance you want me to. Besides, the vast majority of us, myself included, will never rank high enough on the KCBS top 20 list to ever come close to justifying a trip to their awards banquet, right? I think you are judged less by the sanctioning group you participate in, than by the quality of the teams you compete against. If good teams show up at Morgan Hill, and you beat them, you are a good cook...regardless of whether it is KCBS or any other sanctioning group.

#16 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostDonna Fong, on 13 January 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Besides, the vast majority of us, myself included, will never rank high enough on the KCBS top 20 list to ever come close to justifying a trip to their awards banquet, right? I think you are judged less by the sanctioning group you participate in, than by the quality of the teams you compete against. If good teams show up at Morgan Hill, and you beat them, you are a good cook...regardless of whether it is KCBS or any other sanctioning group.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

#17 Kenny Lee

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, San Jose Sharks, BMX, Football, NASCAR

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostDonna Fong, on 13 January 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Besides, the vast majority of us, myself included, will never rank high enough on the KCBS top 20 list to ever come close to justifying a trip to their awards banquet, right? I think you are judged less by the sanctioning group you participate in, than by the quality of the teams you compete against. If good teams show up at Morgan Hill, and you beat them, you are a good cook...regardless of whether it is KCBS or any other sanctioning group.

Slap Yo Daddy 11th overall, 3rd pork, 11th Brisket; All Sauced Up 21st overall, 11th ribs, 17th Brisket, Huminie's 21st Ribs.

It's really hard to get anywhere in KCBS rankings if the largest contest in the state last year switches sanctions.

#18 John Jackson

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

We will only be able to compete in 5 or 6 contests this year. I am glad that now we have enough contests where we can do all KCBS since it is our preference. I do feel for the teams that are interested in the CBBQA ToY that prefer KCBS. I don't think you will have a decent chance unless you compete at M.H. So now it could become a requirement to learn to cook a different sanctioning bodies rules to be a CBBQA ToY contender. I dont think it has been that way in past years.

#19 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostKenny Lee, on 13 January 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Slap Yo Daddy 11th overall; All Sauced Up 21st overall

It's really hard to get anywhere in KCBS rankings if the largest contest in the state last year switches sanctions.

Besides both being really good cooks, I think both teams doing over 20 KCBS competions might've helped a little.

Edited by Vance Salvador, 13 January 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#20 Bill Souza

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

I also was not saying anything against PNWBA, we have met some great people/teams in PNWBA also. Just saying my preference is KCBS, and wondering whats the reason of not using KCBS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users