Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: Oaktown Throwdown

#2 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Welcome Dave Campbell and our newest Northern California KCBS sanctioned BBQ Championship!

#3 Dave Campbell

New to this forum

• CBBQA Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

The Oaktown Throwdown is partnering with Art & Soul Festival and the Downtown Oakland Association on the first weekend in August, 2014 to bring great barbecue to Oakland, a Bay Area stalwart of good barbecue. The event is in Frank Ogawa Plaza in front of City Hall and right at the foot of San Pablo Avenue, Oakland's historic 'barbecue belt.' Both this Wiki page and the website for Art & Soul Festival will be updated soon with more event details.

And for those ready to enter and judge the competition, stay tuned. Online entry forms will soon be posted. In the meantime, follow @SpokesNSmokes on Twitter for updates.

#4 Rob Ryan

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I like to BBQ and I shoot competitively. Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Dave You looking for BBQ Sauce and Rub Vendors for this event? If so I would like some info

#5 Dave Campbell

New to this forum

• CBBQA Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Yes, most certainly. We will have a vendor application ready soon for the OakTown Throwdown and I'll holler back at you with costs and more details. Thanks for your interest and hope you can make it.

#6 Dave Campbell

New to this forum

• CBBQA Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

Our Judges online application is ready. Are you ready to come to Oakland, enjoy our great BBQ tradition here in the Town, be a part of First Friday's Art Murmur, and take in the sounds and live entertainment of the Art & Soul Festival? Sign up as a judge: https://docs.google....YsXIUs/viewform

#7 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Oaktown Throwdown is having an event "steering committee" meeting in a week.

Any teams out there have special thoughts or ideas that they'd like to see at this new event.
Kid's Q is already part of the fun. What would you like to see?

Edited by Tracy Allen, 26 January 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#8 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hello Dave,

Thanks for adding another KCBS event to the Bay Area.

I've heard concerns from cooks about overnight security in his area, how is overnight security going to be handled?

#9 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hi Darry. I went to the meeting this past Saturday. Dave Campbell and the rest of the members are very excited to incorporate the KCBS contest into their existing Art and Soul Festival which has been happening in downtown Oakland since 2001. Tracy and I walked around the area. Basically, the contest will be at the foot of the Ron Dellums Federal buidling and the awards ceremony will be in front of the building (between the two towers as seen in the picture below). Seems like teams will be lined up on a wide street with some portion of the sidewalk as their footprint, which I appreciate. There is a slight slope for drainage as most streets are but nothing too significant. The street is spanking clean. The building is Nordstrom-like, to put in girl terms (meaning it is fairly Gucci, clean, safe and pretty to look at). Around the corner is where the mainstage is for music. There's another huge building in between the main stage and the Dellums building which has a glass face that opens up an expansive area.

I suggested the the ends of the street be secured and the organizers, who have been running this contest for 13 years without incident, said that is what they were planning. There will be 24 hour security. It will be off Broadway, which I feel is a great and safe location. And there is a small cafe in the middle so we eat when need be. It's also within walking distance to Chinatown, foodie restaurants, and Top Dog, Starbucks, and other breakfast type nooks I know.

I'm looking foward to it. Hope you are too.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Darry Smith

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thx Donna.

#11 Darry Smith

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

The organizers and the city of Oakland need to address security issues IMO.

The fact is, no one has bothered to address these issues. Oakland as its own reputation to deal with, I'm looking for a "shoot-out" while trying to cook.

https://www.facebook...706413869403978

#12 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hi Smitty. So I can understand your concern but the contest is being held next to the Federal building in an upscale business area, not next to the freeway or whatever areas the video shows. The Arts festival has never has a security problem in the 13 years it has been in place. I wouldn't cook at a contest that is dangerous either and I don't think the particular location is at risk. There are plenty of good and bad places to the city which I hold dear. Now if one of those guys was holding a gun in one hand and a competition level rib in the other, well, okay. I might worry.

#13 jason miranda

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Are Raider fans gonna be allowed in?

#14 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

They better! I'm cooking!

#15 Chuck Collondrez

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

what about 9ers fans

#16 Darry Smith

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

I'm just wanting to hear what security will be in place if we are staying overnight. The silence from the promoters here is insightful.

You see cars driving around Oakland firing shots out the window, you say they circle the same block all night? The fact the city appears to look the other way is troublesome.

Even nice "Nordstrom" areas at midnight can be different then in the daytime. You can defend Oakland's reputation all you want, it is what it is.

#17 Tony Presgraves

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

A gun in one hand and a competiton rib in the other? That's my kinda contest! Hell, that's how we've won in the past!

#18 Dave Campbell

New to this forum

• CBBQA Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Darry,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I was pleased to see Donna's response and your reply thereto with appreciation and thought your concerns were at bay. So, here is a more formal response.

Downtown Oakland is awesome in oh so many ways and the Oaktown Throwdown BBQ Competition will be right in the middle of all of the fun. Yes, Oakland is a big city, and deep East Oakland, six miles south has a reputation. But Downtown Oakland is a safe and enjoyable urban metropolis and both the Oaktown Throwdown BBQ Competition and the larger Art + Soul Festival will have a full security detail around the clock Friday and Saturday nights, and the entire event area is fenced. The BBQ competition, as Donna explained, is in the cleaner office building part of downtown Oakland and is quite nice. And there are many additional attractions in the area, including Old Oakland, Jack London Square, Uptown Oakland, Lake Merritt, Children's Fairyland and San Pablo Avenue--Oakland's historic bbq belt.

Friday night of the competition is the same time as First Fridays in the Uptown, and there will be plenty of street attractions about 1/2 mile north of the competition for competitors and their teams and families to enjoy. At the same time, quiet time will be enforced and the area around the bbq competition should be much quieter.

I'm sure you are going to have a good time and if you or anyone would like to talk more about Downtown Oakland. I live 6 blocks from the festival in Downtown Oakland and experience it and love it every day. While keeping it our little secret so that rents can stay low, we are eager to show off all that Oakland has to offer.

Both Raider fans and 49er fans welcome, with Raider fans slightly more welcome. See you in August!

Dave Campbell
Oaktown Throwdown Organizer

#19 Darry Smith

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Dave, sounds like we may scale down on our artillery.

Edited by Darry Smith, 18 February 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#20 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

This one is on our calendar! We're from Antioch... we're not scared, lol

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users