Proposed 2007 ToY Rules Public

73 replies to this topic

#61 Pat Burke

I love to cook with wine, Sometimes it goes in the Food.

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

I would agree that every team entered in a competition should get some measurement even if it is 1 point in each category. Bent's task will be challenging to keep all the results and a BIG THANK YOU for doing it! It should be a great year with a a lot of fun...

#62 jay benedict

2006 Co-Team of the Year

• PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

Posted By jay benedict on 03/10/2007 12:34 PM
This might be a simple answer. Maybe the points could be ditributed in this fashion. If a contest has 29 teams then first place in each category would get 29 points, second place 28 points down to 1 point for last. Same goes with the overall. The more teams there are the more points are available, the bigger contests will create more points, as they should. But everybody gets points, no one is left out. At the end of the year only the top ten in each category and overall will receive TOY awards (except for Rookie and Most Improved or whatever else is decided). You could also keep this as 'in state contests only'. Afterall it is the CBBQA TOY. That is about as easy as it gets.......I think.

I moved this to this page to make sure everyone gets another chance to read it. This is about the easiest way to track points that I can think of.

I agree, I think most improved will have to wait until the end of 2008.

#63 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

--Bentley Dark Lord of the Pellet

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

I guess I am kind of brutal and selfesh. If we are only going out 10 places, I don't see any reason to keep results beyond that. I guess if I get a 29th out of 30 in Brisket I really don't want to be reminded of it, but I am merely one stalk of wheat blowing in a field! ;>)

#64 jay benedict

2006 Co-Team of the Year

• PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

But those 2 points might help you get to the top ten by the end of the year. Besides you'll be reminding yourself you got 29th out of 30 anyway.
But I think the point is..... nobody gets left out.

What about in state contests only qualify. It makes it so much easier. Nobody has to report or verify anything from out of state contests. I think it was Ben who mentioned that some people don't have the money and time to travel out of state, so it's not fair to them. Therefore this should make everyone happy(sorry Peter), well almost.

#65 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

Maybe you our I am missing something here Jay...I am under the impression that if you do not get a top 10 in either a specific meat or a top 10 overall your points do not count for the contest, period. ie; I get a 17th in chicken, a 22nd in ribs a 19th in pork and a 29th in brisket, I get no points in that contest. Maybe I am not on the same page with everyone. I thought this was only a cumulitave race if you finished in the top ten in a contest. Ben, Thom...?

We can track everyone at each contest so teams that finishes below 10th can see where they are at. I will need to make sure someone sends me a complete team scoring sheet that is provided at the end of each contest to do it. We will not be at every event, even in CA, due to the costs, but I guess I can do it. I will need to ask for a bumb in my pay!;)

#66 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

Its Top Ten over all not Top Ten each meat
For 2007 scores we could use the KCBS sheets
of the few contests that qualified

As for Out of State I would favor CBBQA Endorsed events be apart of this Boulder,Lake Pleasant maybe a few others are well worth supporting. Endorsement would not be easy to get.
We just need to make every ones California 400 mile circle contain as many contests as possible Yes we would need to look into Oregon also.
Example a No Cal Member would naturally look north as well as south to find events So we have a 400 ish mile circle for him. Out of state members would not have the full circle but at least most of it.
If CBBQA Endorsement is difficult to get we could allow all events to count in the Five Best

The one point per team or NASCAR points style I proposed this last week

First at a 25 team-er is 25 points
First at a 8 team-er is 8 points
We could do away with the 12 team limit
This will make it hard to develop new events
Don't kid yourself that all you have to do is
"Start it and they will come"
Maybe the answer is making it Best of half the qualifying events Team of the Year not Team of a couple of Events
That would put us above five

#67 jay benedict

2006 Co-Team of the Year

• PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

Neither of us are missing anything. That top ten point system was being discussed. I just offered a look at a different type of point system that would include everyone who competes. The TOY awards at the end of the year would just go to the top ten in each category and overall.
I know Dan Cannon always posts(on his website) full results of every contest in California and then some, usually within days. So you could get your info there also.

#68 Neil Strawder

BigMista There is no space between the big and the mista

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:Meat, Bourbon and Funk Music

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

Posted By Bentley Meredith on 03/10/2007 4:42 PM
I will need to ask for a bumb in my pay!;)

I agree. I think you you should get twice what you have now.

#69 jay benedict

2006 Co-Team of the Year

• PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Good points Thom........and Neil.

#70 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

Thom,

I am not following you on the "Its Top Ten over all not Top Ten each meat". Are we having an overall ToY and not a ToY for each meat? I am getting more confused as we discuss each point.

#71 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

Top Ten ToY is for overall scores
Each separate category would be just the 1st place Team
Or is the Top Ten enough?

#72 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:21 AM

So far good stuff everyone. I'm just glad we're not disputing everything and it's just the top few items that are seemingly the most contentious.

Reminder that public comment remains open for only the next few days then the BoD needs to make some decisions on this.

-Ben

#73 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

Good point. Do we have a cut off of when the final decision on ToY is going to be voted on by the BOD?

#74 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

We (the BoD) *may* have a meeting next week, but if we can get some issues hammered out via email we might just vote by email - assumed this will also occur within a week to 10 days.

Some really like the Nascar style points system (23 teams = 23 points for 1st place, down to last place 1 point), but we are also considering the amount of overhead required to keep those scores accurate.

-Ben

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users