Wiki: 3rd Annual Pechanga BBQ Championship

51 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: 3rd Annual Pechanga BBQ Championship

#2 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Pechanga Entry Form up and ready

#3 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

What is the prize $$$ for this contest Henry? I also see a Whole Hog Category, what are the details on how that is going to work?

#4 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Yep I'm interested about the whole hog..payout and style of judging?

#5 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostMatt Dalton, on 04 January 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Yep I'm interested about the whole hog..payout and style of judging?
Still working on $$ but we are at $17,500 in cash at least... as far as whole hog, I am thinking $1,000 1st place, $750 2nd and $500 3rd or something like that... It will be KCBS judging.. OPEN - garnish and container (no larger than 18" x 18") Whole Hog can be any size... You may serve as many different parts as you want -- appearance will take into account variety of pieces/cuts... Still working through the exact details but I figured with such a large PC event, Pechanga will be ideal for the whole hog, as most teams will be able to get rid of their meat easily

#6 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thanks Henry will the hog be turned in on the same day..a whole hog can take 20+ hrs to cook just wondering if we can start earlier than a normal cook.

#7 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostMatt Dalton, on 06 January 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Thanks Henry will the hog be turned in on the same day..a whole hog can take 20+ hrs to cook just wondering if we can start earlier than a normal cook.
Whole Hog will be the last turn in, around 2:00 pm (possibly 2:15/2:30pm) after all meats have been turned in... Size of Hog will determine cooking time.. and if some take 20+ Hrs, then teams cooking such a Hog will have to plan accordingly and get their pig inspected and start working on it, in the early afternoon on check in day (Friday)...but again more details to come...

#8 andy allen

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Ya prize money will play a huge factor on our decision on the whole hog, those things ain't cheap

#9 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

welcome aboard OUTLAW... Who is Next?

#10 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hey Henry, I see you are having a substantial prize $ for PC at Pechanga, cool. Can I make a suggestion? In the past, with nice prizes for PC, as you have here, there have been a few PC ringers. These teams don't worry about the real competition and only bring huge amounts of PC for the crowd and win by only selling the most. Is it possible to make the prize based on overall performance at the contest. maybe somthing like this:

3 criteria: Most sold, Most vote tickets and highest finish in the contest. As an example how to score it: Take the number of teams competing in the contest (as an example say 50 teams), the GC winner receives 50 points, RGC receives 49 and so on. The team that sells the most tickets receives 50 points, second most 49 and so on. The team that receives the most People's Choice Voting tickets gets 50, second 49 and so on. Add the 3 up and the team with the most points wins the prize.

To date your PC contests at Pechanga are a contest of who's got the prettiest girls working, not who has the best BBQ at the contest. IMO.

#11 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

My two cents.....I would take the prize $$$ for PC, and put it back in the contest. ANYONE can sling BBQ...but the main thing is the competition. Lets reward those who have dedicated the time, expense, etc, and if they win,they are rewarded.

The prize for doing the most.....you did the most PC, and are getting paid for, 1 ticket at a time....

Pete

View PostSteve Wilson, on 17 January 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Hey Henry, I see you are having a substantial prize $ for PC at Pechanga, cool. Can I make a suggestion? In the past, with nice prizes for PC, as you have here, there have been a few PC ringers. These teams don't worry about the real competition and only bring huge amounts of PC for the crowd and win by only selling the most. Is it possible to make the prize based on overall performance at the contest. maybe somthing like this:

3 criteria: Most sold, Most vote tickets and highest finish in the contest. As an example how to score it: Take the number of teams competing in the contest (as an example say 50 teams), the GC winner receives 50 points, RGC receives 49 and so on. The team that sells the most tickets receives 50 points, second most 49 and so on. The team that receives the most People's Choice Voting tickets gets 50, second 49 and so on. Add the 3 up and the team with the most points wins the prize.

To date your PC contests at Pechanga are a contest of who's got the prettiest girls working, not who has the best BBQ at the contest. IMO.

#12 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostPeter Lent, on 17 January 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

My two cents.....I would take the prize $$$ for PC, and put it back in the contest. ANYONE can sling BBQ...but the main thing is the competition. Lets reward those who have dedicated the time, expense, etc, and if they win,they are rewarded.

The prize for doing the most.....you did the most PC, and are getting paid for, 1 ticket at a time....

Pete
Bad idea in my mind. this promotes competition only. It does nothing for the fans, the promoter and the future sponsors. Where do you think this money would come from, the only source is your pocket and mine. What's that equate to- higher entry fees. Pete- is that what you really want to see?

#13 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Steve,

teams are going to do PC regardless of a PC prize...Most competitions do not offer a prize for PC. In my opinion, and for my team, we do PC first and formost to make money in an attempt to cover our competition costs. I would do PC regardless of a special prize for PC or not. The fans are still going to get BBQ, and have samples.

I am not sure what PC has to do with the promoter and/or sponsors.

For the Pechanga constest, the money is already allocated in the prize funds, and the entry fee is set.

Again, my two (or maybe 1.5) cents.

Pete

View PostSteve Wilson, on 17 January 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Bad idea in my mind. this promotes competition only. It does nothing for the fans, the promoter and the future sponsors. Where do you think this money would come from, the only source is your pocket and mine. What's that equate to- higher entry fees. Pete- is that what you really want to see?

#14 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Pete-

You must have missed the other threads going right now. Many of us, ok mostly me, have been talking about what this sport will be in the future. We can continue at the current pace and the teams will continue to fund are own prize $$ pools. In order for the prize pool to grow, more entry fee is currently the only way. We need fans and sponsors to lower our entry fees and provide larger Prize $$ pools. If the PC $ we talked about above were put into the general prize fund, there is no incentive to PC and therefore little reason for fans, like at Elsinore, to attend the event.

#15 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Steve,

I am purely talking about PC at the Pechanga Contest. Not all contests will draw fans and not all contests are good for PC......I have not seen the other threads, but I will read them :-)

#16 Larry Adkins

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Henry
I do not see this event on the KCBS website, am I missing something?

Larry
MAD DAWGZ BBQ

#17 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostLarry Adkins, on 20 January 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

Henry
I do not see this event on the KCBS website, am I missing something?

Larry
MAD DAWGZ BBQ
Paperwork basically... Just submitted about 2 days ago, should be up on KCBS by weeks end or next week...

#18 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Welcome aboard Outlaw, Knock Ur Sox Off and Burnin and Lootin,,,,,,,,,, WHO IS NEXT?

#19 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Had a great meeting with Pechanga today... also noticed the new Wine Bar and Sushi Bar -- nice..... Good news, we have 5 more rooms than last year (10 to 15) blocked off for those of you wanting rooms -- @ $179 -- mention BBQ,,,, if for whatever reason they don't know about the discount -- tell them to look code IPB0614 up... If your planning on getting a room make your reservations asap, last yr we sold out of "special BBQ rate rooms" in like 2 days... and the Hotel was completely sold out (at any rate) 2 1/2 months prior to our BBQ, so plan accordingly

#20 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Any updates on the competition and the extra categories?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users