Homemade BBQ Rub Questions

6 replies to this topic

#1 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

Do you have any tips on making your own BBQ rubs? What spices should be included in a rub to make the rub uniquely suited for a particular meat such as the competition meats (chicken, pork ribs, pork butt, beef brisket)? My efforts so far have lead to the "all purpose" category.

Thanks,

JK

#2 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

I'd start with a base "all purpose" rub and tweak it from there..meaning say with chicken I'd add keep it mostly the same maybe add a citrus note to it..with pork I'd add turbinado sugar and a savory factor..beef I'd add pepper and garlic..lots of flavors can come out of one good base rub it's just about where you want to take it..oh and I do know a team that makes their own using high quality spices and has done well recently and the food tasted great as well.

Edited by Matt Dalton, 25 June 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#3 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

John, my take is there are so many people out there spending big money and time developing great rubs with all the best ingredients. I'm not talking grocery store rubs but the rubs you can get from the big competition BBQ supply places. The suppliers have all the hottest stuff, in the long run you will save $$$ and time and get a better product.

With that said, many are layering their rubs with more than just one getting a larger flavor profile. My suggestion is look at what's hot, order a few and do a few practice runs and develop a flavor profile you like.

#4 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:39 AM

Matt,

Thanks for the great tips.

#5 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

Steve,

Thanks for replying. Of course, you are correct about the high-quality competition rubs commercially available from BBQ supply stores, many of which I have tried. For me, creating my own rubs, which admittedly don't measure up to the commercial rubs, is part of my BBQ hobby. Creating a BBQ rub is both fun and challenging.

#6 Ryan Chester

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

I like Matts advise and if you have fun doing it, THEN DO IT! I did the same exact thing in 2009. Now teams from all over the country including mine are winning with them.

#7 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

At the BBQ 101 event in Folsom last year I gave out a rub matrix to help you develop a rub. I only offer this to BBQ 101 attendees.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users