Wiki: The Ultimate BBQ Showdown East vs West V

30 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: The Ultimate BBQ Showdown East vs West V

#2 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Entry form here and ready to go

#3 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Welcome aboard No Jokin Smokin and head cook Stephen McDaniel..... WHO IS NEXT?

#4 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hey Henry-

I was just looking at the app. Question- 20 amp service is $50, did you mean 50 amp or is power going to have a fee? Thanks.

Edited by Steve Wilson, 03 January 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#5 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 03 January 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Hey Henry-

I was just looking at the app. Question- 20 amp service is $50, did you mean 50 amp or is power going to have a fee? Thanks.
Power is going to have a fee.... Voted at the last Rotary meeting of the year.

#6 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Ouch, I forsee lots of noisy generators running at this contest....I understand the issue, but not sure how this is going to work...

View PostHenry Silvestre, on 04 January 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Power is going to have a fee.... Voted at the last Rotary meeting of the year.

#7 Ryan Chester

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Steep entry fee and no power. Hmmm...

#8 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostRyan Chester, on 05 January 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Steep entry fee and no power. Hmmm...
Not really, same entry fee we've had for all 5 yrs... just the electricity being different because of the issue last yr.. one of the largest cash payouts in Cali.. at $13,000 in cash + prizes

#9 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostPeter Lent, on 04 January 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Ouch, I forsee lots of noisy generators running at this contest....I understand the issue, but not sure how this is going to work...
I think we will be alright.. so far all entries have added the electricity component.. so I am thinking 50 teams, at least 25 using house power (one large generator).. 10 of the other 25 using inverters, 10 of 15 left using their own generators and 5 sharing generators with neighbors... so instead of 2 large generators... we may have 1 large one, 10-11 RV Toy hauler ones... I think we'll be alright...

#10 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Just went on line- to the 1st generator rental that popped up, American Rentals. They rent a 70KVA, a huge beast for $160 a day or $640 for a week. Spider boxes at $25 a day or $100 a week. you'll need 5? If you estimate 25 on house power that's $1250. Cost is $320 for generator and $250 for the spider boxes. This is without shopping. Henry, this doesn't seem fair to me. I will be bringing my own generator, but this is not fair to those without generators.

#11 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 06 January 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just went on line- to the 1st generator rental that popped up, American Rentals. They rent a 70KVA, a huge beast for $160 a day or $640 for a week. Spider boxes at $25 a day or $100 a week. you'll need 5? If you estimate 25 on house power that's $1250. Cost is $320 for generator and $250 for the spider boxes. This is without shopping. Henry, this doesn't seem fair to me. I will be bringing my own generator, but this is not fair to those without generators.
Sounds great Steve.. in fact the Rotary Club wants nothing to do with electricity so if you want to get it for this contest and have the teams deal directly with you-- I am 100% all for it.... I am serious. But as an organizer I know this -- I get 125 KVA for $450 a piece + $200 for delivery each.. so 50 teams are covered with 2... (for the weekend-- which would be $160 x3 or about the same price for the lesser power one you suggest above)... Spider boxes are $25 and need 16-- $400 bucks, then you forgot the 100' cables to cover the entire area (2000') at $30 per 100' (or $600)... and lets not forget the $1,200 in diesel cost for 2 huge generators running 24 hrs a day for about 30 hrs-- did I mentioned 3 ft cable ramps to prevent public and cooks from tripping over cables, you need at least 40 for an event like Wildomar and off the top of my head they go for $20 or so bucks each.... Did I mentioned someone ran over a spider box (cost to replace $1500) that Rotary covered.... I know for a fact that electrical for an event goes between $4,000- $5,000 based on 2 big genereators at Pechanga with 4 generators bill was north of $7,000... Rotary is not doing this to hurt cooks or teams -- it simply does not want the responsibility of having another episode like last year. Like I said if you or anyone else wants to bring power for the teams and charge them directly or sponsor them go right ahead. By the way my events (Lake Elsinore, Pechanga , etc... all have power included ), Yes I am the promoter for this one, but I am only one vote out of 7 in our board and this is how it is. With that said, Rotary is working really hard with the county to look at permanent electricity for this event in the future, so we will see what happens.

#12 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

H- Power has become a standard at competitions, as we all know. A cost of doing business, if you will. If it is so expensive to provide, I would assume those that have generators would be happy to use their own generators if there were a discount for doing so. Onsite electricity is much easier for me, but for $50, I have no problem supplying my own. With a discount, If you were to supply one generator, and place those in need within a short distance you could reduce the number of generators, the number of spider boxes and the # of feet of cable required to cover the area.

It's unfortunate that equipment was damaged last year. I'm sure the team that damaged the equipment did not do it intentionally and I'm guessing they were not aware they even damaged the equipment. Regardless, it all about money, for me. This is an extremely expensive hobby, any cost cutting has a benefit. I entered 27 contests last year and spent an average of $800 a contest. That includes entry fees, meats, rubs, sauces, injections, gas, hotels and meals. Ya, we came out ahead because we won the car, and a few contests plus we PC'ed, but, I think we are an exception. Most teams are lucky to recover 1/2 their expenses.

#13 Tom Moore

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Well welcome to the HAPPY 2014 everyone and here we go even without Big Matt

#14 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 06 January 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

H- Power has become a standard at competitions, as we all know. A cost of doing business, if you will. If it is so expensive to provide, I would assume those that have generators would be happy to use their own generators if there were a discount for doing so. Onsite electricity is much easier for me, but for $50, I have no problem supplying my own. With a discount, If you were to supply one generator, and place those in need within a short distance you could reduce the number of generators, the number of spider boxes and the # of feet of cable required to cover the area.

It's unfortunate that equipment was damaged last year. I'm sure the team that damaged the equipment did not do it intentionally and I'm guessing they were not aware they even damaged the equipment. Regardless, it all about money, for me. This is an extremely expensive hobby, any cost cutting has a benefit. I entered 27 contests last year and spent an average of $800 a contest. That includes entry fees, meats, rubs, sauces, injections, gas, hotels and meals. Ya, we came out ahead because we won the car, and a few contests plus we PC'ed, but, I think we are an exception. Most teams are lucky to recover 1/2 their expenses.
The team knew, the team said they would pay for it, the team failed to do so... Again this is a 100% charity event for Rotary and thus 100% a tax deduction for teams... Rotary is simply not wanting to deal with any electricity nightmares, and I am arranging the electricity for the event if teams needed or want it... if you don't then don't worry about it... the way I look at it is for this event most teams will travel 50 or less miles-- the prize $$ is $13,000 and (if) a team pays an extra $50 bucks -- which at the gas pump is equal to about 15 gallons or (90 miles round trip for most)... is like a team deciding to go to a contest in Santa Barbara (normal contest are $10,000 or lower in prize $$ with equal entry fees).. and using the extra $50 on gas.. just saying, At Wildomar a team doing PC can re-coup the $50 bucks, (already really saved in miles traveled for most) in like 20 minutes... Again we can sit here and nick pick at it, but it simply a Rotary decision and no matter what it is what it is, nothing you and I can change...

#15 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Now on to new business... Welcome aboard OUTLAW BBQ and head cook Steve Botkin.... Who is Next?

#16 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Date Changed: New DATE May 24, 2014 and

#17 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Along with Date changed we (Rotary) has decided to move this venue to the Storm Stadium parking lot, a beautifully completely paved 10 acre spot that is ideal for a BBQ event (just about 2-3 miles northwest of our prior spot)... I know Pete (Pete's Firehouse BBQ) loves this location... it only took 10 or so negotiations over the years, convincing the City and the Wildomar Rotary Club to move just outside "city of Wildomar limits" and I mean a solid rock trow away... actual address of the event is 500 Diamond Drive, Lake Elsinore, Ca 92530... WHO IS NEXT?

Edited by Henry Silvestre, 13 January 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#18 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Henry,

This is GREAT NEWS! For me personally, with the date change, we can now make it!

Also, the venue is perfect. The venue last year was less than desirable, but the storm parking lot is a win/win for everyone.

Thanks again!

Pete

View PostHenry Silvestre, on 13 January 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Along with Date changed we (Rotary) has decided to move this venue to the Storm Stadium parking lot, a beautifully completely paved 10 acre spot that is ideal for a BBQ event (just about 2-3 miles northwest of our prior spot)... I know Pete (Pete's Firehouse BBQ) loves this location... it only took 10 or so negotiations over the years, convincing the City and the Wildomar Rotary Club to move just outside "city of Wildomar limits" and I mean a solid rock trow away... actual address of the event is 500 Diamond Drive, Lake Elsinore, Ca 92530... WHO IS NEXT?

#19 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Welcome Grill of His Dreams, Tropical BBQ, Hog Heaven Sauces, Knock ur Sox Off, D'S Smokehouse BBQ, and Burnin and Lootin..... WHO IS NEXT?

#20 sterling ball

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Steve power may not be the standard. Your simple math is why first time promoters get killed. Teams need to understand just exactly what it costs to put on an event and power is the number one cost coast to coast. Simple math is very dangerous. IF henry was getting rich on promoting contest he would promote more not less.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users