Too much sauce???

14 replies to this topic

#1 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

I was catching up on some BBQ Pitmasters I haven't had time to watch and made notice of all 3 teams that had the same problem TOO MUCH SAUCE on their country style pork turn ins. One team even admitted that he put a TON of sauce on the meat and laughed about it.

Not sure what it is lately, but the last 5 or so comps all the turn ins seemed to also have a huge amount of sauce on both the chicken and rib turn-ins. It's gotten to the point where you can pick up the bbq without getting your hands covered and dripping in sauce.

Not sure what the fade is or why some teams put several "layers" of sauce on their food. Does anyone else think less is more when it comes to saucing chicken and ribs?

#2 David Hornby

New to this forum

• 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Abel, I agree with you. Like we hear so often, it's a meat contest. Heavy sauce layers make me wonder what is being hidden underneath. And it certainly interferes with my ability to taste the meat and how well it's cooked. You have to evaluate whether the sauce enhances the flavor of the meat or is so heavy that it becomes the flavor of the meat. I vote for sauce as an enhancement, not a camoflage. Also, heavy sauce layers make it difficult to handle the meat. It gets slippery. It gets all over your hands. If you can't get it all wiped off, it affects the next sample you pick up from the box. Etc., etc.

#3 Kay Spencer

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Oh, and David, don't forget that special time when you snag that slippery morsal out of the box and it brings sauce soaked pieces of garnish that fall all over your scoring placemat!

#4 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

Hopefully you are all letting your scoring do the talking and are not afraid of being a low scoring judge now that the new system is tracking judging scores.

#5 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Benny, I've never been afraid to score lower, but always with a note on a comment card. Now that we have no comment cards I'm concerned that some of the new teams are going to have a lot harder time trying to figure out when enough is enough.

David, I recall seeing a piece of chicken fly about 3' out of a judges hand it was so slippery. Luckily the judge already took a bit and was simply trying to hold the piece when it took off like a rocket.

#6 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Why would anyone be afraid to put down a score they felt was correct? I could see the apprehension if that judge knew the score to be lower than it should though. Hopefully the new system will help rein in those judges that like to consider themselves tougher than the rest.

#7 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

They should not be. However, I'll ask you a question; why are some judges encouraging other to "not be the low table". I say it is because of the new scoring system, otherwise as you stated, why should they care?

#8 Robert Bass

Treasurer

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Low & Slow BBQ, Low & Fast Air Racing, Family, Camping, Amateur Radio

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

You bring up a good point, Benny. While the new scoring system should be an excellent tool for teams (if used properly) to gage how they are placing against other teams at the same table, it seems to have become a tool for teams to gage how judges are judging. ( writer takes deep breath here ;) ) I'm not sure if this was the original intent of KCBS. It may not be an issue IF there was some feedback given to judges similar to what is given the teams.

#9 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

I have not heard of that. Those judges should be reprimanded.

Are individual tables being singled out for just being the lowest? I see it logically happening if one table is way off base or if it is the lowest for every category, but not just for being the lowest at a contest. One table has to be the lowest.

#10 Robert Bass

Treasurer

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Low & Slow BBQ, Low & Fast Air Racing, Family, Camping, Amateur Radio

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Kevin,

You may find that taking a CBJ class will give you a better insight into the hows and why fors of judging.

#11 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

I started out as a CBJ. What insight in regards to this discussion am I missing?

My apologies up front for being thick.

Edited by Kevin Barteaux, 21 September 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#12 Jess Trujillo

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

I personally do not like a lot of sauce on my ribs, chicken or bbq in general. As a result, we have received (6&7s) for not applying enough sauce and or our sauce is too overpowering. In both cases we received comment cards, which were helpful as we made adjustments accordingly and saw improvements in both categories over the next several contests.

#13 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

I can't remember the last time I ever thought that a piece of BBQ needed more sauce. I may think the meat is dry, but adding sauce or more sauce is not the answer to that problem. Better no sauce or less sauce, than more sauce.

#14 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

Sadly, a lot of teams don't see it that way.

I think my table went through an entire roll of paper towels this weekend and most was on chicken. If you pick up a piece of chicken and put it down and see a half inch thick void of sauce where you finger was you're not doing it right.

#15 jonathan reimer

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

"Less is more" is the approach we've been taking, scoring pretty good for the few comps we've done.
As a new team I would hate to see comment cards go away.
Getting the texture and moisture right is paramount to us, sauce is a secondary priority although important.
I was once told by a seasoned BBQ Judge at my first comp, "Just don't offend anyone with your sauce and cook the meat spot on and you'll do pretty good"

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users