Big Bob Gibson white sauce: bottled vs the book recipe

6 replies to this topic

#1 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I made a batch of Big Bob Gibson's white sauce from the recipe in the book, using Best Foods mayo. I compared it on chicken to a bottle of the white sauce from the restaurant.

The bottled sauce seems to have a little more acidity and is a fair bit thicker. I'm guessing they use a higher acidity white vinegar in the bottled recipe. It also contains mustard flour not found in the book recipe.

Overall, pretty similar but certainly not the same, though that doesn't surprise me. I expect the mayo used is a major variable.

#2 Jon Lago

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Moinck BBQ, Plastered Pig BBQ, Fishing, Fiddling with my Willys CJ2A,

Lago Stucco & Masonry

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

they may have been using "heavy mayo"

#3 Ron Stevens

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:fishing, bbq contests, bbq cooking, catering

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

I made this sauce while we were living in Florida. At the time it was called Alabama Sauce. The recipe I had specified "real mayonaise" and Heinz vinegar. It came out very well, but the folks down there wanted only "red bbq sauce" although good, they didnt like the white

#4 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostRon Stevens, on 29 July 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I made this sauce while we were living in Florida. At the time it was called Alabama Sauce. The recipe I had specified "real mayonaise" and Heinz vinegar. It came out very well, but the folks down there wanted only "red bbq sauce" although good, they didnt like the white

Yeah, it seems that white sauce is particular to Alabama and caught on nowhere else.

Jon has a VERY good point that the mayo used in food service is indeed "heavy" mayo, with more egg yolk and a thicker texture. That explains the difference in the Gibson bottled sauce, certainly.

#5 Donna Fong

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

My friend shared the recipe with me and though the sauce looks pretty gross, it tastes so good on chicken. Better yet, I usually have all of the ingredients in my refrigerator.

#6 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostDonna Fong, on 29 July 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

My friend shared the recipe with me and though the sauce looks pretty gross, it tastes so good on chicken. Better yet, I usually have all of the ingredients in my refrigerator.

It is tasty on chicken - though I like the slightly thicker coating that the bottled sauce gives. So I need to find some heavy mayo and try it :-)

#7 Allen Seamans

• CBBQA Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

To make a thicker sauce and adjust the acidity use apple cider power.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users