People's choice

14 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Blackwood

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

So I've never done a people's choice, and I plan doing it for future comps. I know some comps provide the food, no some dont. I figure on competition day I would just vend the leftovers. But for the other days how many pounds of meat does everyone cook? To me it seems that 2 ounces is very small portion epically for ribs.

#2 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Darren- A rib portion is one rib or you can do a 2 oz rib tip. I try to put as much meat in a 2 ounce cup as I can. Quantity you cook is up to you. On events like Ribs Pigs & Watermelons, where they are supplying the meats (by the way, this is rare) I will cook all I can to raise as much money for the charity. There is very little monetary risk, just fuel and your rubs, sauces and supplies. Events that take the risk advertise and bring in the fans. For events that don't supply meats, the $ risk is on your shoulders. I suggest checking with other teams to see which events have a proven track record in terms of bringing out the fans. Low attendance kills PC sales.

Also note that your competition scores will definately be effected by your PC efforts. Unless you have a second large capacity smoker for just your PC efforts and staff to operate it. PC takes time and people and has the ability to cover a lot of your costs. It is also very rewarding emotionally to help out the charities. I have a single large capacity smoker, that allows me to produce a lot of PC, It also takes a lot of "Crew" to do larger quantity and more space to give ample room to do the job.

We used to PC every event, now we are selective on where we PC. If I can break even and help out, I gladly will PC.

Edited by Steve Wilson, 19 July 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#3 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

How much food to cook for a PC event is always a gamble. Cook too much you've lost money don't cook enough and you're losing out on some good money. 1st year events are always "iffy" for us, and we tend to be more conservative. As far as serving sizes go you'll always have people that don't like the fact that you only get a small sample, but most of the time that's the exact point, small samples. When selling leftovers we give a single rib bone, those go fast and everyone wants ribs. Selling pork is the easiest and most cost effective meat. Whenever possible, adding the word "sliders" to your menu makes a big difference. A 2 ounce sample is small, put that on a bun, and it looks a lot different.

#4 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Man, I'm currently # 1 in TOY Pork and for PC I can't give it away. I only PC my two comp butts, and I almost always have pork left at the end of the day. Maybe sliders are the answer. Pork is cheap, comparitively to the other meats, and I love taking it home and serving it without bbq sauce in tacos, maybe I'll try that at a contest.

#5 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

We sold pulled pork tacos at a contest recently, they did good. And ya sliders are a good way to go... selling them 2 at a time moves that meat quick.

#6 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

At Silicon Valley, Carnage Asada had tasty chopped brisket/pickled onions/cilantro tacos. Loved 'em.

#7 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Pulled pork nachos are a good one too...

#8 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

2 oz. of Nachos- 1 chip, a little nacho cheese and a bit of pulled pork... 50 tickets will serve one person. LOL

#9 Neil Strawder

BigMista There is no space between the big and the mista

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:Meat, Bourbon and Funk Music

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ribs and Pig Candy for me. We do lots! Chopped brisket flies out the door too. I used to try to do fancy stuff. Now I just do REAL. GOOD. MEAT.

#10 Darren Blackwood

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

I just figured I would serve it a la carte. Like I said never done it so I figure I'll learn more as I go.

#11 Ron Stevens

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:fishing, bbq contests, bbq cooking, catering

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

I wasnt going to say anything about PC, but when I read this I just couldnt help it. I hope I dont offend anyone, but its how I feel. The last contest we did was at Long Beach, It was a really great event, Arlie did a fine job, the competitors were great, and the facilities were first rate. My problem came with the PC, we were so busy, my poor wife never left her one position of serving food. As a result, our comp scores suffered greatly, as I was so busy trying to do everything else, I didnt have time. I wasted a really nice top sirloin because I couldnt pay attention and it was terrible (last place). The end result of all this, was poor scores, and lost money. When it all figured out, with us having to supply the meat, selling it for $2 and then having to split that with the QM, so we only got 1 dollar for all our work and trouble. It's not worth it. At the best, we broke even, maybe if the promoters were to supply the meat, it might be different, but not when I have to buy it. I know, I may hear I should have more team members, but there is only my wife & I, and thats the way it is. The only people that made any money off this was the Queen Mary. I will continue to compete, but will not do another PC again

#12 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

How about the Brentwood Cook Off and Car Show giving back 100% to the teams for the $1 ticket sales!

#13 Sylvie Curry

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Ron, it is rough doing PC with only two team members at a crowded venue. Many teams doing PC have a support group dedicated to preparing and serving samples so that the comp cooks do not have to get involved. Don't feel bad voicing your view. A lot of teams want to sell their extra comp meat but the demands of serving do sometimes get in the way of preparing your comp meats. Very few comps require you to do PC. A lesson learned, don't do PC if it gets in the way of your comp meat prep and turn ins. A number of us small teams do not participate in PC.

#14 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Sylvie is 100% correct. My team has a lot of capacity in our smoker and we ca do a lot of PC, but it comes at a price. The more you cook, the more time it takes, more fuel is burned and the more people you need to prepare it. At Rib Pigs and Watermelons we are going big Friday and Sunday and Saturday afternoon but we are concentrating Friday night and Saturday morning on comps.

It's a fine line, on one day events like last week in Vista, we cooked 6 brisket and 6 butts plus 16 racks of ribs and 50 rib tips. The butts and brisket were manageable but the ribs take a whole lot of managing with the wrapping, saucing and cutting and took me away from my comps in ribs and chicken. But we sold out and helped raise a lot of money for Dale, that makes me proud. However it killed my comp scores.

I have not been able to balance comp and pc and maximize both, it's one or the other.

#15 Darren Blackwood

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies on people's choice, for my first time doing pc I think I did quite well. It did help I having the first spot right by the entrance for the Ribs, Pigs, and Watermelon contest. The contest organizers gave me way more meat than I ordered, but I'm glad they did. I ended up smoking 6 bacon wrapped tri tips on Friday, and sold almost all of it. But as I found out Mac N Cheese was a big hit. I made a 13x9 pan on Friday and it was gone within an hour and half. So by Saturday morning I had enough to do 3 13x9 pans, and once again they were all gone in 2 hours. But for meat wise I only did the competition meats. To my surprise we vended out most of our meats, we sold all of our brisket, 18 chicken thighs that were cut up to fit the 2oz container. All of your ribs, I had a lady buy an extra 10 tickets for our ribs when she was leaving. (which I thought was our best category, but not according to the judges... 42nd place) pulled pork I couldn't give it away. (And that was my best scoring category 20th). Was going to do Sunday but I was exhausted. So it was a beach day for me and my team, but by the time I came up to our trailer, I realized I should have done some pc and not given away my last 3 tri tips. But all in all it was a great contest and fun time down their.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users