All Due Respect

85 replies to this topic

#81 Sean Harbaugh

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Member of CBBQA and KCBS. Loves BBQ and all things Scottish.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

I'd like to add my take. Our team is new this year, and Sam's was our first 4 meat comp. Our ribs were 18th, chicken 18th, and pork butt came in 14th. We were one of two teams dq-d on brisket (we had a micoscopic speck of foil), and that certainly was disappointing; however I found landing in the middle of the pack on our other turn-ins to be respectable for our team, and we used the experience as something to learn from. We had a great time despite the rain and our kitchen being six inches deep of water. When I was SoS and the BBQ Circus there (and several others), I expected them to float to the top and they did. So, while there may be variances in the judges by table (we had one judge at our table rate us all 9's on our ribs and another give us 6,6,7), I think it was fair overall. We had a great time and we will keep on doing what we do, learn from the experience, and keep working to take our bbq to the next level.

#82 Derrick Galiste

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:BBQ and Photography

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Keep on doing your thing Sean.
SOS has hit that, excuse my language..., F'n table too many times...we were lucky enough not to this time.

#83 Scott Shimano

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Great article written by CBBQA's own Donna Fong discussing Judging Competition BBQ http://www.slapyodad...s-daughter-bbq/

#84 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

Great article Donna, I can't wait for part II. Thanks for sharing this Scott. As the original poster of this thread, I want to be forthright and again give thanks to the many great judges we have in California. It is my opinion that the large variance in judging exists due to the vague nature of the KCBS definitions of the scores. Particularly, on the description of a 6 as being average. I have heard this described as Donna points out "BBQ you'd find in a restaurant." I have also heard average described as "all the BBQ you have had in your life." So which ground rule do you use? To me neither is a definitive observation of the word average. By describing average as " BBQ you'd find at a restaurant" then awarding a score to most competition BBQ fare is insulting. Restaurants cook hundreds of plates per day. It is almost impossible for them to have the focus and attention on that quantity that we have on just a small sampling for 6 bites. Restaurants are cooking for a meal, we are cooking for a bite or two. We are using the best rubs, and sauces available. Restaurants are using cost effective alternatives that are tested over time. Comp BBQ is using the best new profiles. If I receive a 6 or even a 7, I am insulted, there is no way a restaurant can put the time, patients and commitment I give to the few pieces I serve to the mass quantity they serve.

I really liked Donna's quandary when contemplating between a 7 and an 8, I agree always round up. As far as the table from heaven or hell. It happens. It's not so much a full table as much as just two judges who are off that day. One judges scores can be dropped, but a second judge and it's over.

KCBS needs to better define what the scores mean. I think the sport has grown to the point where judges scoring should use the decimal point. 7.5 or 7.8 and so on. Scores are so close.

Edited by Steve Wilson, 18 April 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#85 Robert Bass

Treasurer

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Low & Slow BBQ, Low & Fast Air Racing, Family, Camping, Amateur Radio

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 18 April 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

I think the sport has grown to the point where judges scoring should use the decimal point. 7.5 or 7.8 and so on. Scores are so close.

Steve... And you suggest this at a time when we're just getting our heads wrapped around whole numbers... lol

#86 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,150 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Should have added decimal point when the program was upgraded recently

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users