2011 events calander?

22 replies to this topic

#1 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Last year 2010 there was a 2010 CBBQA ToY Event Calendar. I don't see one this year. Are there any anticipated events other than what is on the main page under "upcoming events"? A little bird had wispered about some other comps pending in Northern/Central Calif. Lincoln comes to mind. KCBS schedule doesn't have them either. Maybe no mas!
Mark

#2 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

There is some upcoming events in Nor Cal that are waiting KCBS sanctioning. I believe the BOD meeting is tonight.

Edited by Ric Gilbert, 11 February 2011 - 11:53 AM.

#3 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

View Postmark evenson, on 11 February 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

Last year 2010 there was a 2010 CBBQA ToY Event Calendar. I don't see one this year. Are there any anticipated events other than what is on the main page under "upcoming events"? A little bird had wispered about some other comps pending in Northern/Central Calif. Lincoln comes to mind. KCBS schedule doesn't have them either. Maybe no mas!
Mark

The multiple calendars became confusing and a nightmare to keep updated. For 2011 the only calendar we use is now on the front page.

Non CBBQA events just a get a forum mention.

#4 Brian Moriarty

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

I was planning to be in Sebastopol in June, the IBCA event in Oakland and the Penn Valley Rodeo are the only comps I'm aware of, any others in the vicinity?

#5 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

View PostBrian Moriarty, on 26 February 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

I was planning to be in Sebastopol in June, the IBCA event in Oakland and the Penn Valley Rodeo are the only comps I'm aware of, any others in the vicinity?
June 11 San Jose (KCBS)

July 3 Rancho Cordova (KCBS)

I hear another brewing.

#6 Stacy Haynes

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

View Postmark evenson, on 11 February 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

Mark

Anyone interested in taking a trip to Vegas, May 20-22 for $125,000 in prize money? USA Barbecue Championship $125,000 Prize Money Is World's Richest Contest,

Six figure prize money, 100% certified judges and amenities second to none. Does your team belong? Visit www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com for details and registration! Would love to have you guys there!

#7 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

I never really liked Vegas, but thanks for the invite.

Mark

#8 Steve Rodriguez

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Catering, BBQ, Farmers Market Vending, BBQ

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

Mark,
I'm with you, not really a fan of events at venues that aren't kid friendly. But do understand how they can help BBQ to gain exposure, 5J's will just have to sit-out these contests.

#9 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostStacy Haynes, on 01 March 2011 - 05:13 PM, said:

Anyone interested in taking a trip to Vegas, May 20-22 for $125,000 in prize money? USA Barbecue Championship $125,000 Prize Money Is World's Richest Contest,

Six figure prize money, 100% certified judges and amenities second to none. Does your team belong? Visit www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com for details and registration! Would love to have you guys there!

Stacy... Anyway/anywhere to see the teams signed up for the event. Would love to see the line up for Vegas. I can't seem to find a list of teams, or even judges for that matter, anywhere. I usually see all of that information posted for all. It really gets others excited, and even more motivated, to see the "big" competition attending. It gets us judges really excited about who we might be judging! :unsure:

#10 Stacy Haynes

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

View PostTracy Allen, on 12 April 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

Stacy... Anyway/anywhere to see the teams signed up for the event. Would love to see the line up for Vegas. I can't seem to find a list of teams, or even judges for that matter, anywhere. I usually see all of that information posted for all. It really gets others excited, and even more motivated, to see the "big" competition attending. It gets us judges really excited about who we might be judging! :unsure:

Good morning, Tracy! Hope all is well on your end. We will post teams two weeks prior to the event. All of our judges are KCBS certified. When you say this is usually accessible, is it a daily update or is it a few weeks prior to the event?

#11 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

View PostStacy Haynes, on 13 April 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

Good morning, Tracy! Hope all is well on your end. We will post teams two weeks prior to the event. All of our judges are KCBS certified. When you say this is usually accessible, is it a daily update or is it a few weeks prior to the event?

Just about all CBBQA, and most KCBS events update, at least weekly, the listing of teams, and usually judges as well. Two weeks prior is REALLY late to motivate additional teams, as well as pretty late to get more CBJ's motivated to head all the way to vegas for the big event.

#12 ron cates

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

View PostTracy Allen, on 13 April 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

Just about all CBBQA, and most KCBS events update, at least weekly, the listing of teams, and usually judges as well. Two weeks prior is REALLY late to motivate additional teams, as well as pretty late to get more CBJ's motivated to head all the way to vegas for the big event.

#13 ron cates

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

View PostTracy Allen, on 13 April 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

Tracy, We've been promoting events for 12 years and have never posted teams weekly. We only post when all the teams are registered. And we've never posted judges. To be honest, I've just gone on numerous KCBS event websites, and nobody has teams/judges listed. We always hope that the $125,000 motivates teams to register, not which one's are competing. I believe most people assume the best teams in the world will be on hand for that amount of money. I appreciate your suggestion very much but we're still going on the assumption that the world's largest cash prize and being in Vegas will really motivate the teams that want to compete against the best.

#14 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

View Postron cates, on 13 April 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

Tracy, We've been promoting events for 12 years and have never posted teams weekly. We only post when all the teams are registered. And we've never posted judges. To be honest, I've just gone on numerous KCBS event websites, and nobody has teams/judges listed. We always hope that the $125,000 motivates teams to register, not which one's are competing. I believe most people assume the best teams in the world will be on hand for that amount of money. I appreciate your suggestion very much but we're still going on the assumption that the world's largest cash prize and being in Vegas will really motivate the teams that want to compete against the best.

Ron, didn't mean to step on any toes, or the toes of any experienced BBQ event planners.

I guess I'm just used to the California contests, most, if not all, of which are information friendly from the get go, and updated very regularly on the CBBQA wikipage for the event.
However, you are fairly correct about the KCBS events. I went back and checked again myself, and only found 2 of 4, that I randomly checked, had ALL of the event information posted.
I guess I, like many others, just like seeing the excitment build, and seeing the list of teams grow.
I also love to see any CBJ's listed that I may have met through my BBQ travels, so I can make plans to get together with them, when on an out of town BBQ adventure.

#15 ron cates

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

View PostTracy Allen, on 13 April 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

Ron, didn't mean to step on any toes, or the toes of any experienced BBQ event planners.

I guess I'm just used to the California contests, most, if not all, of which are information friendly from the get go, and updated very regularly on the CBBQA wikipage for the event.
However, you are fairly correct about the KCBS events. I went back and checked again myself, and only found 2 of 4, that I randomly checked, had ALL of the event information posted.
I guess I, like many others, just like seeing the excitment build, and seeing the list of teams grow.
I also love to see any CBJ's listed that I may have met through my BBQ travels, so I can make plans to get together with them, when on an out of town BBQ adventure.

You stepped on no toes. And your suggestions are great ones. If you go back to my website wwww.smokeonthewaterbbq.com and look at the Sam's Club events, we listed all the teams and judges, but they had already filled up. The main reason we don't update weekly is economics. We have to pay our tech guy every time he touches the computer, so we just wait and do it once. Apologize if it sounded like I was getting on you....been one of those days! We're trying to create something great in this area and any advice we can get that can help us achieve that goal is greatly appreciated. In our neck of the woods, we're just known and the folks who follow our events know all the best teams are going to there. They just register because of the competition. Everybody wants to be the best and six figure pay days brings em out......And as far as our judges, my mother and father always are in charge of them. They know we treat them very well and our reputation has allowed us to be fortunate enough to always have 100% certified judges. You are right, it is great to see who is judging and cooking, but shoot, just jump in there knowing this is just a great event and most in the barbecue world want to be associated with it. Would love to have you come to Vegas. I assure you that you will you see many familiar faces......Thanks again for your suggestions.

#16 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

View PostStacy Haynes, on 13 April 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

Good morning, Tracy! Hope all is well on your end. We will post teams two weeks prior to the event.

Hey Stacy...

Las Vegas Contestant list?

Where is it?

less than 2 weeks to go...

Many of us wanting to know, and thanks in advance for following through with your two week promise.

#17 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

98 teams is what i heard
My hope is for more

Edited by Thom Emery, 10 May 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#18 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

View PostThom Emery, on 10 May 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

98 teams is what i heard
My hope is for more

The low numbers favor the teams in terms of potential payout, but that is a really short term view. I hope that the numbers shoot up significantly so that Smoke on the Water is incented to do this year after year in Vegas.

Matt

#19 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

Oct 14/15/16 Palm Springs style contest in the Inland Empire
It looks like a go taking 10 teams max maybe less

#20 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

Pencil us in Thom, we had a blast in PS!

View PostThom Emery, on 11 May 2011 - 04:08 AM, said:

Oct 14/15/16 Palm Springs style contest in the Inland Empire
It looks like a go taking 10 teams max maybe less

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users