Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

Standings as of 10 May 2007

Attached Image: chix.JPG

Attached Image: ribs.JPG

Attached Image: pork.jpg

Attached Image: brisket.JPG

Attached Image: tri_tip.JPG

Attached Image: overall.JPG

Edited by Ben Lobenstein, 04 June 2007 - 07:45 AM.
Re-Added images

#2 Bram Britcher

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

List of qualifying events.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: events.JPG

Edited by Ben Lobenstein, 02 June 2007 - 06:03 PM.
Re-Added images

#3 Bram Britcher

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

Member Team List
Please send additions/corrections to bbritcher@sbcglobal.net

155 South Bar-B-Q , Bram Britcher
Addicted to Rub , Ed Anhorn
All Hogs Go to Heaven , Steve Madaule
Arlieque , Arlie Bragg
Asleep at the Grill , Vic Sessions
Auntie Shoe's Bodacious BBQ , Cheryl Markwardt
AZ Critter Cookers , Richard Jambor
AZBarbecue , Mike Reiman
Backyard Bar-B-Quers , Mitch Lookabaugh
Bart's Blazin' Q , Dave Bart
BBQ Bullies , Tim Hoffman
BBQ by Dan , Dan Cannon
BBQ'n Fools , Tom Brohamer
Big John Texas BBQ , John Crim
Blake's BBQ , Mike Blake
BLQUE Cuttin Edge QN , Laurence Hill
Burbank's Bad Boys BBQ , Randy Gille
Burnt by the Best , Bentley Meredith
Celtic Spirit BBQ , Peter Benac
Change Smoker , Ed Bell
Checkered Past , Darrell Warkentin
Fish Heads BBQ , Steve Paustian
Four Q BBQ Team , Neil Strawder
Gourmet Grills One Smoke Over the Line , Kenneth Hunting
Heartland BBQ , Jim Gold
J&L Smokin BBQ , James Emery
Kyle's Bubba Q , Kyle Emery
Love Shack BBQ , Fred Stanek
Mojave Hot Stuff BBQ , Tom Chilton
Otis and the Bird , Jay Benedict
Out of This World BBQ , Gene Goychocea
Papa's Smokehouse , John Scott
Pigfeathers , Ed Brown
QN4U , Brent Walton
Ric's Righteous Ribs , Ric Gilbert
Road Kill BBQ , Keith Caroseli
Rock's BarBQue , John Jackson
Rollin' Smoke BBQ-West , Steve Norlock
Smitty's Smoke Patrol , Darry Smith
Smoke-A-Licious , David Vindiola
Smokin Grape , Michael Parks
Sug's Shack , Charles Myles
Team Half Penny Kenny , Ken Cortez
The Burnt Fork Boys , Ken Marshall
The Pit Stop BBQ , Pam Gram
The Rib Doctor , Hayward Harris
The Smokepranos ® , Jason Fisher
The Tops BBQ Team , Robert Diaz
Tropical Heat , Dan Daniel
We B Qn , Richard Gonzales
West's Best BBQ , Gary Tackett
When Pigs Fly (LD) , Dale Ginos

#4 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:44 AM

This will be fun
Great format Bram

#5 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

So, I will throw a little controversy in -- I notice that the IBCA event is the only one so far that has tri-tip. I don't think there is tri-tip at Boulder City or Go for the Gold or Thousand Oaks or Clovis , all KCBS events. Is this going to be an basically an IBCA award? I know that sounds kind of harsh, but I am still puzzled that this award was not open to all "Anything Butt" categories and was exclusive to tri-tip (of course, in most teams the women cook the "Anything Butt" and the men cook the tri-tip, sooooo.....)

#6 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

Clovis did it least year (on Sunday - not a part of the KCBS event). For West Coast 2006 it was part of KCBS. Santa Maria did it last year as a CBBQA event.

I will be doing tri tip at my events (KCBS), as well GFG has it scheduled for a Sunday turn in, not sure how the Sunday (non-KCBS) contests will fit into ToY but it's here.

#7 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

Ask me in 7 months

#8 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:19 PM

Ben, you have raised an interesting point -- if the tri-tip turn in is on a Sunday and not part of the Saturday event turn-in, will it count for ToY? I don't consider the Sunday events part of the competitions so I have not looked at them as counting because if you count the Sunday events then you have to count the chicken turned in on Sunday too right? But if they count, then so be it but I think we need to award points for the Sunday chicken too then. Maybe that can be clarified?

#9 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

Darned Legal Eagles ;) I'll let Bram weigh in on this one.

Kristen,

Another aside (maybe we need another thread for this), you think AB was popular in CA last year (2006)? this is from my (somewhat fading) memory:

Autry had a SW category, not truly AB but close (and a sauce category)
Modesto had dessert (and a sauce category - 32 teams turned in sauce, 4 judges judged all 32 teams)
Boulder had an AB
West Coast tri tip (and possibly sauce)
Clovis had an AB, plus the already discussed Sunday stuff

I can't speak for IB, Viejas, Santa Maria or Beachfront - I wasn't there.

#10 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

Those Sunday contests would have to be sanctioned to be part of ToY It probably could be done if the organizer was willing to get the extra day sanctioned

#11 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

Ben,

I use "Anything But" in the generic sense -- i.e. "anything but" the 4 competitions meats, be it southwest, tri-tip, sauce, dessert, etc. So my AB category would encompass all the events you listed above. In my mind having an award that encompasses all "anything but" entries gives more folks a chance at a ToY award instead of just the guys entering tri-tip in a few competitions.

#12 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

Kristin,

I see, I was being narrow focused where you went wide view, How would we then handle contests with more than 1 AB item? (i.e. Dessert & Sauce).

#13 Bram Britcher

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

There is no requirement in the ToY rules that turn-in's be the same day.

For the 4 traditional meat categories, the turn-in that is used in determining GC at the sanctioned event is the only turn-in that is considered for ToY. An additional turn-in (like the Sunday chicken at Clovis last year) is not considered for ToY. This is not specifically stated in the rules. It is my interpretation. I will recommend this wording be added to the rules for next year.

Tri-tip is an experiment this year. If it is included at a qualifying contest (with or without GC implications), it will be included in ToY. Will it work out? I agree with Thom, ask in 7 months.

Why Tri-Tip and not Anything Butt? NC is known for pork. Texas is known for brisket. We sought to have a category that was identifiable as Californian. Tri-tip seemed the clear choice.

#14 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

Bram,

I understand that tri-tip may be identified with California (although it is ironic that two of the top five ToY in tri-tip right now have AZ in their team name). I just think that choosing tri-tip as the only non-competition ToY category eliminates a lot of competitors from even trying for a ToY award, especially women who are on teams. [Yeah, yeah I am a feminista, everyone will just have to learn to live with it :-) ]. I hear a lot of talk about how men would like to get wives interested and involved in Q'ing etc but the one category that draws the most participation by women is, in essence, excluded from the ToY.

Ben,

With events with more than one AB, maybe we could toss a coin as to which category got the nod for that event?

By the way Bram, very nice job on your charts -- very clear to understand, very easy to follow. Such simplicity belies a lot of work and effort to accomplish !!! Thanks for your effort and service.

#15 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

--Bentley Dark Lord of the Pellet

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

Posted By Bram Britcher on 05/11/2007 6:58 PM
There is no requirement in the ToY rules that turn-in's be the same day.

For the 4 traditional meat categories, the turn-in that is used in determining GC at the sanctioned event is the only turn-in that is considered for ToY. An additional turn-in (like the Sunday chicken at Clovis last year) is not considered for ToY. This is not specifically stated in the rules. It is my interpretation. I will recommend this wording be added to the rules for next year.

Tri-tip is an experiment this year. If it is included at a qualifying contest (with or without GC implications), it will be included in ToY. Will it work out? I agree with Thom, ask in 7 months.

Why Tri-Tip and not Anything Butt? NC is known for pork. Texas is known for brisket. We sought to have a category that was identifiable as Californian. Tri-tip seemed the clear choice.

I understand that there is no requirement that the turn-ins be the same day but...

Section 3.02 Contests
For any contest to be eligible for CBBQA Toy Points, all of the following conditions must be met –
1. Sanctioned by a nationally recognized sanctioning body (KCBS Championship Series, IBCA, MIM or CBBQA)
2. Must be an open non invitational contest
3. Must have no less than 10 CBBQA Member Teams competing
4. Must cook all 4 standard competition meats (Chicken, Pork Butt, Ribs, Brisket) as part of the contest

The Sunday contests are not sactioned by KCBS, IBCA, MIM, or CBBQA are they? You are not cooking 4 scantioned meats on a Sunday are you? Are there 10 CBBQA teams on Sunday?

Just like to know...As Del would say, tri-tip is a bastard meat and should be purged from the steer anyway! :blink:

#16 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:11 AM

Yes Bent your right on this.
:w00t:
Next year we can add a couple of categories if we see fit
This whole conversation should have happened back when the ToY was being shaped. Yes I would be in favor of a AB next year

#17 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

Thom,

This conversation did happen back when the ToY was being shaped and I was nicely told that it was going to be tri-tip and no further discussion would be had on the topic. So I am just expressing my opinion up front in an effort to lobby for next year.

#18 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

--Bentley Dark Lord of the Pellet

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Thom,

Should we go back on a longer vacation?...;)

#19 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:19 AM

Bent No stay it was boring without you two
Kristen I dont remember the conversation but the idea has merit for 2008

#20 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

I found some of the places where the attachments went missing (in this thread).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users