Flavor Profiles

sauce spice bbq

9 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Harbaugh

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Member of CBBQA and KCBS. Loves BBQ and all things Scottish.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hello everyone,

Our team is one of the newbies, and we just finished our second competition last weekend. We got great feedback from some very awesome judges, and I'm extremely grateful for all the feedback. My question is flavor. It seems that the flavor profile for the KCBS competitions lean more on seriously sweet with smoke and a bit of burn. Our niche is southwestern which is more on the hot and spicy side. For last weeks comp, we toned down the hot and spicy leaving us without the kick and flavor profile we're used to working with. My question (and forgive me if this seems like a stupid question) is should we give up what we feel defines us and develop a more candy sweet sauce used stictly for comps? Any help would be really appreciated.

#2 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostSean Harbaugh, on 10 March 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

Our team is one of the newbies, and we just finished our second competition last weekend. We got great feedback from some very awesome judges, and I'm extremely grateful for all the feedback. My question is flavor. It seems that the flavor profile for the KCBS competitions lean more on seriously sweet with smoke and a bit of burn. Our niche is southwestern which is more on the hot and spicy side. For last weeks comp, we toned down the hot and spicy leaving us without the kick and flavor profile we're used to working with. My question (and forgive me if this seems like a stupid question) is should we give up what we feel defines us and develop a more candy sweet sauce used stictly for comps? Any help would be really appreciated.
Just switch your sauce to blues hog original as a base and cut it with another simple run of the mill sauce..then thin it with a touch of water..that should put you right in the ballpark flavorwise

#3 Sean Harbaugh

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Matt! I'll give it a go.

#4 Sylvie Curry

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Not many teams cook the same for comps as they do for home cooking. When I cook for friends and family, I rarely use the sweet sauce I use in comps.

#5 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

I cook comps to win on a bite or two from the judges. I pretty much tone it down for home cooks but use the same flavor profile. It's like turning my guitar amp down from 11 to 5.

#6 jonathan reimer

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Million Dollar question right there!
It's tricky, good balance of sweet, tang, and a heat that starts to fade as the judges are writing the score down is kinda what you are looking for.
Blues Hog, Kosmos, or Bart's as a base will get you close to where you want to be.

#7 Sean Harbaugh

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

I appreciate all the good advice. I'm going to locate Blues Hog. Thanks a bunch.

#8 andy allen

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

cook for the judges not yourself.

#9 harry stewart

2010 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Co-owner operator of Great American Barbecue Alameda, Ca. Member since 2007 having competed, educated and provided charity support for the CBBQA membership and its selcected charities.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

It's all about a happy medium and finding balance, sweet , smokey, savory and heat. When balanced you get a bit of each and nothing that overwhelms the taste buds, If a particular flavor is predominant, cut it back a bit to achieve that balance point of all elements. Well rounded flavor with no particular spikes.

#10 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

View Postharry stewart, on 13 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

It's all about a happy medium and finding balance, sweet , smokey, savory and heat. When balanced you get a bit of each and nothing that overwhelms the taste buds, If a particular flavor is predominant, cut it back a bit to achieve that balance point of all elements. Well rounded flavor with no particular spikes.
this is the nail on the head statement..Harry if new guys were to read just this one paragraph they'd be miles ahead

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users