Dana Point Change of date..............

51 replies to this topic

#1 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

The Dana Point BBQ Championship has had to have a change of dates. The new dates are:

October 4th and 5th, 2013

It will still be the same great contest that has made it one of the states best! I still would love to see 100 teams and we are planning to make room for that many teams.
My new judging program is now up and accepting judges and you can go to the site below to sign up.

www.judgebbq.com/Arlieque/

The entry from will go up soon. Thanks

Arlie

#2 Lance Miller

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Yikes, that's a huge date change.

#3 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

We will lose a few teams to the Royal but we lost all our public parking the weekend we had the last two years. It has to be done.

Edited by Arlie Bragg, 14 December 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#4 Skip Ramsden

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Bikes & BBQ Events but not that order!!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Going to loose a few more teams to Needles and the Championship Series.

#5 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostArlie Bragg, on 14 December 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

We will lose a few teams to the Royal but we lost all our public parking the weekend we had the last two years. It has to be done.

I think it's a good decision. I had a group of friends that wanted to come down and after trying to find parking for 20 minutes ended up at Lucille's about 10 min away and complained how bad the ribs were.

#6 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostSkip Ramsden, on 17 December 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

We had no choice and may just plan to stay this weekend so we dont have to change each year. I am working with other contests to make this a series too. Pacific Coast Highway Championship sounds good!

This may become the Mini Royal!!!

#7 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostSkip Ramsden, on 17 December 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

And since this is Needles weekend, and Dana Point is <300 miles from Needles, it would seems this move would also cause this contest to lose it's CBBQA ToY ability.

Not trying to be negative, but rather point this out early in case something can be done to resolve this, as opposed to it being too late...

#8 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

As of a few minutes ago, there is no Needles contest listed on the KCBS website. I did see an exisiting contest has up until 90 days to retain the CBBQA TOY designation so we'll have to see if Skip will have this contest or not. Regardless, I'm going to Dana Point because the CBBQA TOY is not my priority.

Edited by Benny Adauto, 17 December 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#9 Tom Glenn

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

We had hoped to attend this event in 2013, but now with the date change that won't happen. It sure sounds like a lot of fun.

#10 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

Ben we will pay today if that is the case. Send me the link to pay. There isnt any other contest on the schedule at this time so we are the only one.

Edited by Arlie Bragg, 18 December 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#11 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

I have paid for both West Coast BBQ Classic and the Dana Point BBQ Championship.

Thanks Arlie

#12 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostArlie Bragg, on 18 December 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

Ben we will pay today if that is the case. Send me the link to pay. There isnt any other contest on the schedule at this time so we are the only one.

It's not a payment issue. The Board would not be able to vote/approve Dana Point until after July 4, 2013 if Skip/Needles decides not to return (on their established date). Unless Skip announces some change that vacates this date before that time.

Per Section 3.1 of the rules -

Must not conflict with with a previously approved ToY event that occurs on the same weekend and that is within a 300 mile proximity. Any multiple contest event organized by the same party that occurs at the same location and on the same weekend will count as one single event in regards to the conflict rules.

1.Priority for ToY sanctioning goes to the incumbent event for any given weekend up until 90 days prior to the event date. If at less than 90 days the incumbent event has not applied for ToY sanctioning by paying the ToY fee, the weekend is now open and priority will be given to the first event to apply for sanctioning by paying the ToY fee.
2.If a particular weekend does not have an event that was held the previous year, priority for that weekend will go to the event that first applies for ToY sanctioning by paying the ToY fee.

#13 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Ben

I understand and thank you for letting me know. I also uinderstand it is your assocation but to have rules that dont shadow the sanctioning body rules doesnt make sense to me. Skip is a friend of mine and I thought his contest was in NV. I stand corrected! We await your decesion tomorrow night and will go from there.

Arlie

#14 andy allen

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

looked it up its pretty close to 300 miles i think it was like 279. but with the decline in numbers becuase of the amount of events there are these days I understand. It still may be too close

#15 Jerry Aguilar

Secretary

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

It would suck if ToY Sanctioning went to Needles over Dana Point..

Just 3 out of the 22 teams at Needles were chasing CA ToY Points.

#16 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostArlie Bragg, on 18 December 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Ben

I understand and thank you for letting me know. I also uinderstand it is your assocation but to have rules that dont shadow the sanctioning body rules doesnt make sense to me. Skip is a friend of mine and I thought his contest was in NV. I stand corrected! We await your decesion tomorrow night and will go from there.

Arlie

I don't believe this will be vote on tomorrow night.

#17 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I like Skip very much and his events but in all reality Dana Point is one of the best events Ca has to offer..I highly doubt people would drive all the way to Needles over Dana Point.

#18 Stephan Franklin

President

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

The board needs to make this a TOY event. Please step out of the proverbial "box"

#19 Tom Glenn

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I understand why the event is being moved but it also makes teams choose between Dana Point and The American Royal. Last year California had a handful of teams in Kansas City. Missing one of California largest events puts them at a disadvantage for ToY.

#20 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Tom

As I told you the day we were introduced that you sometimes have to choose which is better for your team. It is just a team decesion! I would rather it didnt change too but but being a week earlier or later would not help us either as far as the Royal goes. We will just be the Mini Royal I guess! I hope we can still make teams and that is what I will shoot for. Out of all the teams last year we will lose only two teams that I know of. We will lose more to funerals, weddings and family events than we will the Royal. California is the largest up and coming bbq state in the union and will soon be the largest! I bet you would have more fun at Dana Point than KC?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users